Thread: Well Who Didn't See This Coming?

Default Well Who Didn't See This Coming?

ADHD drugs can lead to psychosis in some according to new study

News | 17 hours ago
    By Debbie Lord, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

A new study on the effects of medication prescribed to those with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder suggests that teens and young people could face an increased risk of psychosis with certain drugs.

The study, conducted by researchers at McLean Hospital and Harvard Medical School, looked at teens and young people who had recently begun taking two classes of drugs – amphetamines (marketed as Adderall and Vyvanse) and methylphenidates (marketed as Ritalin or Concerta) – used to treat ADHD.

The study showed that while the chance of developing psychosis – a condition that affects the mind and causes a person to lose contact with reality – is low, there is an increased risk of developing the disorder in patients taking the amphetamines.

“The findings are concerning because the use of amphetamines in adolescents and young adults has more than tripled in recent years. More and more patients are being treated with these medications,” said Dr. Lauren V. Moran, lead author of the paper.

“There is not a lot of research comparing the safety profiles of amphetamines and methylphenidate, despite increasing use of these medications,” Moran said.

Moran said that clinicians have long observed “patients without previous psychiatric history” developing psychosis “in the setting of stimulant use.”

The study, which was funded by the National Institutes of Health, looked at insurance claims on more than 220,000 ADHD patients between the ages of 13 and 25 years old who had started taking amphetamines or methylphenidate between Jan. 1, 2004, and Sept. 30, 2015.

According to the study, researchers found that one out of every 486 patients started on an amphetamine developed psychosis that required treatment with antipsychotic medication. One in 1,046 patients started on methylphenidate developed psychosis.

The study showed that the development of psychosis appeared in people who had recently begun taking the amphetamines.

Moran stressed that “people who have been on a drug like Adderall for a long time, who are taking the drug as prescribed and are tolerating it well, are not likely to experience this problem (psychosis).”

The paper, “Psychosis with Amphetamine or Methylphenidate in Attention Deficit Disorder,” is set to be published on Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

A new study on the effects of medication prescribed to those with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder suggests that teens and young people could face an increased risk of psychosis with certain drugs.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/ad...PYe0ySlMn9I1K/

.2% and .1%. Shocking

I'd think that the percentage of unmedicated teens showing signs of psychosis would be higher than that.
    Last edited by wob; 03-21-2019 at 01:53 PM.

I would really, really have to think long and hard before putting any pre-adolescent on methamphetamine salts.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

What's the stats on fluoride?
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I have been saying this for a long time. I believe this is far more dangerous than any opioid. Why? If you get off opioids you have no long term effects. Everyone I have known that has been on the ADHD drugs always have long term effects. I have friends with wives and or girl friends who have been conveniently diagnosed with ADHD, but in reality they wanted to loose weight.

My brother genuinely has ADHD and attention deficient disorder. My parents struggled with the idea of putting him on meds way back in the early 80's, but it was the only way he could get through school.

If he takes any of the usuals he slows down. He is all over the place with out it going 100 mph. If I take any of his drugs I can't go to bed for 3 days and are ready to go. It effects me totally differently.

These wives and girlfriends get on the stuff and start loosing weight, and finally clean the house. A dead give away they really don't have ADHD.

I have a friend right now who his wife totally flipped her shit. They are currently separated. This pattern has emerged over the past few years she does this cycle. She wigs out and makes up all of this crap.

I told him I thought it was the ADHD drugs, oh, and she started taking them to loose weight.

She flipped out recently to the point the police were called. She gave me her side of the story. He gave me his. I had a chance to read the actual police report. I don't know what reality she is living in, but it aint the same one the police walked in on.

I think the drug has warped her sense of reality. It is a shame too. Great gal.

I sent him this article. It put it to him a way I was not conveying. But these things really do have lasting effects.

Good gracious I mean Hitler was getting a daily injection of meth. Look what he did.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

The lasting effects are, I'm assuming, the reason the Armed Forces refuse entry to anyone who has taken ADHD/ADD meds in their life. At least that was the case a few years back when a friend's son signed up for the Coast Guard and thought he found his niche in life and a few weeks later they discharged him for having taken Ritalin a number of years prior.

Is this still the case?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

psy·cho·sis
    /sīˈkōsəs/Submit
    noun
    a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    What's the stats on fluoride?
    death 100%

loose lips
    lose weight

carry on, SW!!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    The lasting effects are, I'm assuming, the reason the Armed Forces refuse entry to anyone who has taken ADHD/ADD meds in their life. At least that was the case a few years back when a friend's son signed up for the Coast Guard and thought he found his niche in life and a few weeks later they discharged him for having taken Ritalin a number of years prior.

Is this still the case?
    It is not. They have to be off for a year. A friends son just enlisted and had to be off his entire senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    It is not. They have to be off for a year. A friends son just enlisted and had to be off his entire senior year.
    I guess they've changed it, which is good. From what I recall, he'd been off Ritalin for a few years and was supposedly doing well in his basic training, yet that's the reason they gave him for dumping him. They didn't say he could re-enlist once it had been 12 months, if it had been less than that. The discharge crushed his hopes and as far as I know has since slipped off into oblivion.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    psy·cho·sis
    /sīˈkōsəs/Submit
    noun
    a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.
    You just described many of today's Millenials, and most of the Democrat Party.
    ~ George Washington

i have a good friend that was addicted to Adderall. He started taking it for mild ADD. Then he got a real job with stress and deadlines. He started taking it to help with concentration. Then it was too late.

He described it as just like the movie "Limitless." When he was on it he said it was like being Rainman or the guy from "A Beautiful Mind" where he could just see numbers and signs and could concentrate for hours etc. BUT when he was off of it, it was like he lived a little out of focus. He could not concentrate and he had headaches. Basically instead of a steady stream of consciousness, he would peak for as long as he was on it and then crash and veg for a couple of days.

He eventually had enough, came clean to his wife and went to an inpatient rehab for 90 days. He has since quit his job (his "dealer" was a coworker) and moved out of state and started over. He said that any contact with the "old life" would cause a relapse. He is now doing great and his withdrawl symptoms are pretty much gone. That was 2 years ago.

I know another person who is on it currently and they are the same way. He will stay up for days and then you wont see him for a few days. We are all waiting for the wheels to fall off....because it WILL come.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker2 View Post
    .2% and .1%. Shocking
    I thought the same thing.