Thread: Computer to call balls and strikes

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Computer to call balls and strikes

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

This is just plain dumb. And moving the pitching mound back 2 feet. Ridiculous

Some things are better left alone.
    R.I.P SFC Spencer Kohlheim.
    Suicide is never a good thing but I understand.
    Thank you for your service to our nation.

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkLee View Post
    Some things are better left alone.

Could not agree more

Baseball is a beautiful game that’s best left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Baseball is a beautiful game that’s best left alone.

Yep, ask NASCAR what happens when you start changing rules to “improve the sport”. Look at the stands and you will see how that is working out

Leave it alone.

I haven't watched baseball in a long, long time but I remember that artistry of Greg Maddux gradually, over the course of the first few innings, moving a umpire's strike zone into an almost un-hittable spot. If I did watch baseball with a robot umpire, I would miss that.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 03-10-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Y'all need to come watch some of these little league umpires we deal with. I watched several balls hit the front of the plate, and bounce straight up yesterday. They were called strikes. I don't have a problem with an umpire "expanding" the strike zone a little for the young kids, but be consistent.

But in the grand scheme of things, leave a man behind the plate.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I don’t know if a computerized strike zone is the answer, I really don’t like the idea, but there does need to be some consistency with the strike zone. At the major league level each umpire seems to have their own strike zone. Some high , some low, some inside or out. They have seemed to play to their reputations over the years.
    To get to the point, the strike zone is letters to knees, width of the plate in the rules. It should be called as such. Maybe this will incentivize them to do so.
    Umps seem to think they are the show at times instead of an impartial party.
    I’ll never forget the Braves / Marlins playoff game years back. The Marlin pitchers had a strike zone 36” wide. It was only one way.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Y'all need to come watch some of these little league umpires we deal with. I watched several balls hit the front of the plate, and bounce straight up yesterday. They were called strikes. I don't have a problem with an umpire "expanding" the strike zone a little for the young kids, but be consistent.

But in the grand scheme of things, leave a man behind the plate.

We talking LITTLE LEAGUE, REALLY LOL.

Very little training at that level to be honest
    Last edited by tprice; 03-10-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    I don’t know if a computerized strike zone is the answer, I really don’t like the idea, but there does need to be some consistency with the strike zone. At the major league level each umpire seems to have their own strike zone. Some high , some low, some inside or out. They have seemed to play to their reputations over the years.
    To get to the point, the strike zone is letters to knees, width of the plate in the rules. It should be called as such. Maybe this will incentivize them to do so.
    Umps seem to think they are the show at times instead of an impartial party.
    I’ll never forget the Braves / Marlins playoff game years back. The Marlin pitchers had a strike zone 36” wide. It was only one way.

Different strike zones from umpire to umpire are part of the game, as long as they are consistent to both teams. With that said, I don’t like umpires in general.

I get that, but it often is they cater to a certain style of pitching. A little variance from ump to ump maybe, but there should be a basic consistency across the board.
    Baseball in general seems to be concerned with the pace of the game, and appealing to the younger generations. That said, if the strike zone was called by the book the pace would definitely pick up. Nobody tunes in to watch an umpire.