Thread: Who is moving and why!

Default Who is moving and why!

As noted in last weeks terrible idea to raise property taxes in Florence. I kept stating that we did not need to become "lil Jersey" many felt as though this was a knock against the new school superintend who happens to be from New Jersey.

Like many on here who actually pay attention to the news it was quickly becoming apparent folks were leaving the Big Blue states because of SALT.

When Cumo gets on TV and begs the rich people not to leave you know there is something major going on.

What that something is, is in the old days New Jersey and other BIG BLUE states would raise revenue for projects that sounded good like new schools, extra road they didn't need, and new capitol buildings by increase property taxes.

Its was a running joke about the corruption and abuse all of these projects were causing, but no one cared. I have a friend who came down from Ct and asked how much the property taxes on my house on Santee were. He said: "What are these taxes like 200k" I think the property taxes are outrageous in Clarendon county but no that bad! The house isn't even that big. But he was comparing it to his house back in Ct.

It was a eye opening experience into how liberal government works. Now this was some years ago. So basically the state would raise the property tax and then allow you to use it against your federal tax liability. This meant the state got the money, and the home owner never really had to come up with the money.

Fast forward to 2019. Now you can no longer deduct anything over 10k. This means for those folks that had 100k property tax notices now have to stroke a check for 90k.

It is a total crap show folks are leaving left and right trying to flee these excessive taxes. It is causing huge budget deficits for the BIG BLUE states who are loosing all the revenue.

These people are coming here and bringing their money with them! We were fortunate enough to stop the property tax increase in Florence. Hopefully our state legislatures are paying attention to what is going on with folks moving and take advantage of it.

This could be a great time to give us some tax relief, and still increase sales tax revenue by shifting the burden from property taxes to a sales tax.

We don't need to make the mistakes that are causing folks to leave other states! In the same breath we need to take advantage of folks leaving and get that money here!
    The top outbound states for 2018 were:

New Jersey
    Illinois
    Connecticut
    New York
    Kansas
    Ohio
    Massachusetts
    Iowa
    Montana
    Michigan

The top inbound states of 2018 were:

Vermont
    Oregon
    Idaho
    Nevada
    Arizona
    South Carolina
    Washington
    North Carolina
    South Dakota
    District of Columbia
    https://www.unitedvanlines.com/conta...ers-study-2018
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I agree with you for the most part. The only tax increase I have been in favor of is the Capital project sales tax, which can only be used for those specific, listed projects. Not to mention, it is not "property tax", it is sales tax, which means everyone has some skin in the game. We have had some great projects in Sumter for it. Patriot Park, the tennis center, some of downtown revitalization, etc from it. A lot of our Economic development success over the past few years was certainly benefited from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

That explains all the yankee plates from i95 to i26.

Yay. More yankees and congested highways.

Those yanks move here and vote just like they did where they come from. What they are leaving will be our future circumstances.
    Christian Southern White Heterosexual Gun-Toting Male (The world's most hated minority)

Yep. People wonder why VA and NC are going blue.