Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddle Hunters?

Default Saddle Hunters?

Anyone using a tree saddle for bowhunting? Thinking about getting into that world for the flexibility and fun of it.

Yep, started last year. It’s the most comfortable I have ever been in a tree. Now, with 3 companies making saddles and 4-5 different platform options, it has decreased the barrier of entry. It used to be a DIY only sort of thing. If you are in the upstate and want to try mine out, let me know

I tried a guido's web but ultimatley didn't come up with a climbing system that made it worthwhile. Going to give it another go this fall with the Mantis by Tethrd. Found some composite steps that look like they might make it a go.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Had to look those up. I would have killed to have had one of those during the climbing spike phase...

Greg and the guys at Tethrd have really made a lot of advances within the Saddle Hunting community.

Also John Eberhart is an expert and wealth of knowledge when it comes to saddle hunting.

I use it on private land. I preset trees with stick ladders and just pick where I want to go. I wear the saddle in and carry a platform. Tethrd and aerohunter are the saddles to look at. I run an aerohunter kestrel. It is not the lightest but I feel safe in it (6’5” 230lbs)

You're all going to die.

Somebody buy my LW Alpha before we have another prayers up thread.

Yes, and will never no back to hangons for sure. I hunt out of an original mesh treesaddle and just carry in ladder sections if i am hunting public land.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    I use it on private land. I preset trees with stick ladders and just pick where I want to go. I wear the saddle in and carry a platform. Tethrd and aerohunter are the saddles to look at. I run an aerohunter kestrel. It is not the lightest but I feel safe in it (6’5” 230lbs)
    What advantage do you feel the saddle gives you over a lock on in this situation? I can maybe see an advantage if you were walking in a long ways on public land but I don’t understand it for private land where you could leave a permanent stand.
    Last edited by Marv870; 03-04-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv870 View Post
    What advantage do you feel the saddle gives you over a lock on in this situation? I can maybe see an advantage if you were walking in a long ways on public land but I don’t understand it for private land where you could leave a permanent stand.
    I can put up a bunch of ladders but only need one saddle for every tree. Comfort wise, I’d rather be in a saddle than an any other tree stand/ blind. Much more comfortable once you figure out how to be comfortable. Safety is another advantage. I don’t think there is a safer way to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You're all going to die.

Somebody buy my LW Alpha before we have another prayers up thread.
    I always feel like I am sitting on the hot seat at the dunking booth in a lock on. I don’t see how hunting out of a loc on is safer than a saddle.

Way safer.

Buy my Alpha set.

Mudminnow,
    I did some research on the saddles a while back and entertained the idea of trying one but never got around to it. I have hunted portable lock-ons a good many years though. I understand there is a mobility advantage with the saddle but does it allow the same range of shooting as a lock on? I was under the impression from others that have used them that you were a little more limited, had to set up a little more for the shot.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

7E25E569-FFAD-4D47-875E-BC003F6D0B28.jpeg

Had to sell mine, couldn't stop singing in the woods

Yep. Cumbersome. Limited to 35-40 degrees of shooting. And a good chance you'll hang yourself in the process.

Buy my alpha set.

I got a Tethrd Mantis this year. Will be the only way I hunt from now on. I just use it with Lone Wolf sticks. Damn a climber or lock on from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Mudminnow,
    I did some research on the saddles a while back and entertained the idea of trying one but never got around to it. I have hunted portable lock-ons a good many years though. I understand there is a mobility advantage with the saddle but does it allow the same range of shooting as a lock on? I was under the impression from others that have used them that you were a little more limited, had to set up a little more for the shot.
    I would say that you have equal to more range. What is different is that you do need to practice beforehand from the saddle. It does take a little practice. Now with the new platforms it is very easy to shoot 360 around a tree

Thanks. Have hung in a body belt with work many years. Wouldn't think it would be far removed from that. One more question if I may. What would you say the total weight of your set would be, harness, platform, sticks? I'm probably toting 25lbs in stand and sticks currently.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

This is my whole setup now.
    10lb with 4 sticks or 7.5 with 3.
    1lb for the saddle.
    5lbs ish for rope and stuff and pack.

Sometimes I wear the saddle in sometimes I put it in the pack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10lbs in Sticks (muddy pro). 3 lbs platform. Less than 5 lbs for saddle,lineman’s rope, tether, hardware.

Rodney, are you using the predator platform? I’m itching to get another platform. Out ona limbs podium looks nice but so does the predator