Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ray Tanner of Conservation Hires

Pretty sure he knew Katniss was coming for his ass.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=TfQij4aQq1k
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Pitts is a veteran, former police officer, and one of the few legislators I know that is completely trusted. The National Chairman of the Sportsman's Caucus. The strongest defender of the Second Amendment in the house.

He single handedly saved the conservation bank from the sunset clause. I understand you may prefer a legislator jump from the House straight to a dept head. This guy is one you would have wanted there.

He is a man of honor who I will dearly miss.
    I don't agree with duct tape much but I can agree with this. By chance, Mike Pitts and I both discovered a fondness for the same flounder hole and spent several days fishing in close proximity to each other. We discussed many different topics and I was surprised to see that he was one of few politicians who really cared about what other people thought on certain issues. You know, it was like he actually wanted to do what he was elected to do. I believe he's a good, honest man and would trust him to keep our states best interests at the forefront. However, I can also see the perceived impropriety of this situation. Either way, my opinion of Mike Pitts isn't changed. One thing to consider is that maybe he wanted this job to prevent someone worse from having it?

There's an old saying in the process improvement world...."if you put a good person in a bad process, the process wins every time."
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Pitts may be a good guy, I don't know. But.....the perception of what was going on stunk to high hell and back. One can't blame people for seeing the worst in this case, our politicians actions often warrant this type of skeptisism.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Pitts may be a good guy, I don't know. But.....the perception of what was going on stunk to high hell and back. One can't blame people for seeing the worst in this case, our politicians actions often warrant this type of skeptisism.
    Skepticism is always warranted when a politician is involved. That being said, I have known Mike for around 25 years and he has always been honest and a stand up type of fellow. I don't know if most of you know but Mike was on an elk hunt in Montana in October and killed a giant elk. 20 minutes after taking his picture with the elk he suffered a heart attack. The man is lucky to have survived. He has often said that he needed to reduce the stress in his life and I truly believe that he saw leaving his seat in the house and taking on the conservation back as a way to do this. I think by withdrawing from the nomination he just reduced his level of stress again.
    Freedom nor slavery favor any particular race or people

Apparently there were 30 or so applicants. I wonder if their qualifications were similar to honest guy, former police officer, loves to hunt.

Rubberhead

rhetoric much?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The story here is a freshman Democrat trail lawyer pimp slapped the Senate Majority leader good ole boy scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Apparently there were 30 or so applicants. I wonder if their qualifications were similar to honest guy, former police officer, loves to hunt.
    Great point.

I think one would have to be gullible to believe some of the good ole boy system did not come into play here. I just find it hard to believe that a guy, whose only job history is public service is now in it for nefarious reasons. I would be willing to bet that Mike has never had a job that paid more than $35,000 a year.

That's kind of the point, though. If you've never made more than 35 grand a year but are in Montana on "legislative duty" and just happen to kill a monster bull with your friends, what do those facts look like to folks that don't know him personally? He's just in the club.

Rubberhead

Mike McShane unabashedly said they wanted a former lawmaker who could lobby the GA. That is just a product of our legislature being the dominant force in state government. Don't hate the player. Hate the game.
    DILLIGAF

Default The Ray Tanner of Conservation Hires

Pitts did not do the taxpayers any favors by stopping the sunset. Another program that was suppose to expire yet lives on.

It was nice plan Pitts retire to lead a state agency. Lowe over see the agency and being on Ways and Means gives the agency a healthy budget while Pitts lobby lawmakers to accept.

Then the Taxpayers pays for a 5k tract of the land the children are selling off. There’s a big ribbon cutting for everyone involved.

The DNR is stiffed into managing it with no additional funds.

SC has enough government land at this point. We need better roads and bridges.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 03-05-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    That's kind of the point, though. If you've never made more than 35 grand a year but are in Montana on "legislative duty" and just happen to kill a monster bull with your friends, what do those facts look like to folks that don't know him personally? He's just in the club.
    No that wasn't even close to the point. The point was the man has served his country, county and state for a pissy amount of money at each job. His track record shows he is a public servant minded individual. It's pretty narrow minded to think that a person 63 years old that has worked all their life can't afford a trip to Montana. Now if you have proof of some illegal crooked shit going down I'm all ears.

Just pointing out that it doesn't have to be illegal to be crooked.

And I know nothing about Mike Pitts.

Quote Originally Posted by TWIGG View Post
    No that wasn't even close to the point. The point was the man has served his country, county and state for a pissy amount of money at each job. His track record shows he is a public servant minded individual. It's pretty narrow minded to think that a person 63 years old that has worked all their life can't afford a trip to Montana. Now if you have proof of some illegal crooked shit going down I'm all ears.
    I didn't say he couldn't afford the trip. I'm quoting the news articles that said he was there as part of his legislative duties. He is widely reported as being a "stand up guy." Nobody (including me) is trying to say otherwise as best I can tell.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 03-05-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Rubberhead

Sorry if that's not the way you meant it. I can even get the Ray Tanner inference. What I'm trying to figure out is what the good ole boy system and Mike Pitts has to gain from this whole deal. If I hear of any improprieties I'll be the first to suggest bringing out the tar and feathers.

Default The Ray Tanner of Conservation Hires

It is not Pitt in particular but resigning from being a legislator to director of a state agency should not be allowed.

As stated some favored Pitts for his ability to lobby. There is no doubt that Pitts does well persuading law makers to vote for his bills. He certainly could make amends with GA quicker than a private citizen and likely receive the largest budget.

Yet should the director of a state agency preeminent talent be lobbying the GA or expertise in executive management of the area?

Of course it is a six figure job too.

Pitts think or did think the GA should manage deer and turkeys and not the state agency the citizens employed to manage the resources. Most states provide oversight instead of part time legislators debating catfish, coyotes and flounder while schools are bad and roads crumbling. So now I find irony that he was going to lead a state agency to manage and purchase land resources.

It is my opinion the agency should be dissolved. We need less and smaller state agencies and DNR could provide conservation matters just as well.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 03-05-2019 at 02:49 PM.

I am not sure you understand what the Conservation Bank does. It isn't there to purchase land for the state. It is there to purchase development rights from landowners who want to ensure that their land is not developed in the future once they are gone.

Jab that was my understanding of the Conservation Bank also that's why I can't figure out who has the most to gain. Whether the Bank should even exist is a whole different discussion.