Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 3/4 in Turkey Loads

Default 2 3/4 in Turkey Loads

Which commercially available 2 3/4 load would you use out of a modified barrel? Obviously, range will be reduced, but I killed my first with a modified (however, he did flop) many years ago and there are a lot more options now that may extend the shot past 30 yds.
    Last edited by wskinner; 03-03-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Apex ammo makes a 2 3/4 load of Tss. Another option would be the old federal hw loads in #7, rogers has the hw. The first option will be the only guarantee to get you past 30yds, unless you take up reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Which commercially available 2 3/4 load would you use out of a modified barrel? Obviously, range will be reduced, but I killed my first with a modified (however, he did flop) many years ago and there are a lot more options now that may extend the shot past 30 yds.
    Modified is modified and 2 3/4" is 2 3/4". You are stuck with those variables so your pattern is not going to change much no matter what you shoot. Heavier shot may travel a bit farther but the pattern will be the same. Your pattern is the limiting factor in delivering an instantly lethal head/neck shot, not how far the pellets fly. All heavier pellets are going to do is give you the ability to wound a bird farther. Within the range of a modified choke, lead shot will do just as well as spent plutonium pellets.

Copper Coat #4's
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I used #5 Winchester Supremes for a LONG time with much success out of a modified choke. I didn’t push distance and was fine. Get some Winchester longboard, federal mag shok, and maybe Winchester super x and see what the pattern looks like. As stated above if you’ve got the cash and want to take a look at them see what the heavier than lead looks like.

I killed two turkeys with a modified choke and hevishot magblends.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Modified is modified and 2 3/4" is 2 3/4". You are stuck with those variables so your pattern is not going to change much no matter what you shoot. Heavier shot may travel a bit farther but the pattern will be the same. Your pattern is the limiting factor in delivering an instantly lethal head/neck shot, not how far the pellets fly. All heavier pellets are going to do is give you the ability to wound a bird farther. Within the range of a modified choke, lead shot will do just as well as spent plutonium pellets.
    Not entirely true. If he is stuck with 2 3/4" and modified, those are constants not variables. Hard shot such as tungsten or steel always patterns tighter than soft lead out of the same choke. Tungsten based shot will increase your range considerably out of a modified choke compared to lead. Also larger pellets require less constriction than smaller pellets. TSS will give you the best performance but I don't know if you want to go that route.

This load in 7.5 will get you further than you need.
    https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.co...2-3-4-1185-fps
    Last edited by BRR; 03-03-2019 at 05:04 PM.

You can’t kill a gobbler with anything less than extra full choke 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch TSS. Quit trying.
    Carolina Counsel

Shoot tss or your turkeys will flop
    80-20 Genaration

Plain old #6 lead shot. All you gotta do is look down the barrel and put the little silver bead on him, then squeeze the trigger. No special sights or shot shells required.
    U serious Clark?

Also the said gun can be a standard wood stock with blued steel and fixed choke barrel. No cool camo pattern or grips required. The 18lb bird will die
    U serious Clark?

1) tss
    2) hevi13 #6
    3) win longbeard XR
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Shoot tss or your turkeys will flop
    And bleed all over the place if you don't use TSS.......

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Being a smartass. So now we’re worried if they bleed or not ?
    80-20 Genaration

Got to have a TFC Hat too and 6 calls or ain't gonna kill um
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Not entirely true. If he is stuck with 2 3/4" and modified, those are constants not variables. Hard shot such as tungsten or steel always patterns tighter than soft lead out of the same choke. Tungsten based shot will increase your range considerably out of a modified choke compared to lead. Also larger pellets require less constriction than smaller pellets. TSS will give to the best performance but I don't know if you want to go that route.

This load in 7.5 will get you further than you need.
    https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.co...2-3-4-1185-fps
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Being a smartass. So now we’re worried if they bleed or not ?
    No, being facetious as well.

Quote Originally Posted by baldpate View Post
    Plain old #6 lead shot. All you gotta do is look down the barrel and put the little silver bead on him, then squeeze the trigger. No special sights or shot shells required.
    This. Y’all turkey people overthinking everything it seems. Is it about the hunting, or the saying you can shoot one DRT at distances that compensate for your lack of hunting acumen?

Dumbest animals on planet earth.

If you are trying to gain some insurance past 30 yards with the modified barrel I'd suggest you try the Fed heavyweight 7s. Rogers has them for $14.99 a box (5) right now. I used them last year in the double bird gun for same reason.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

That's ok you can just put a ziploc bag over their head and attach it with a rubber band to keep said blood from making a mess. It's true, I learned it on the Turkey Forum.