Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Aluminum Boat Setup

I’ve got a 1760 Xpress. It’s been a good boat for our coastal fishing and hunting. It’s very stable. I’ve got the 70 Yamaha tiller. I’ve had this boat since new in 2011. If I could have done anything different it would have been 18’ with a 90 tiller but they wouldn’t rate 18’ for a 90 tiller. Stumpknocker has it now painting it. As far as a John boat, if you gave me a side console or center console I’d sale it.

Only negative is I’d had to have the transom welded a couple times but the amount of hours and rough use I’m not surprised.

I have never owned a tiller always a side console, and I love them. I have a 2172 excel and I can play tennis in it. get what you feel comfortable in. everybody has different tastes. I like big boats and I can not lie.
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

There is a Havoc for sale in the TP. Anybody had experience? If you are not fond of them no need to get on here and bash them just curious if anyone has owned one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stump has painted mine twice, I'm not far away from getting him to paint it again

20190302_113703.jpg

20190302_113718.jpg

20190302_113649.jpg

For what it's worth, I learned how to slalom behind a tiller handle..

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    You're a grown up now, don't go buying a tiller unless you like to play around in swamps.. The only advantage a tiller has besides being simple is used in duck hunting, go find a cc jon.
    what he said, you may like the openness of it now but for what you described the inconvienence out weighs it
    plus you have children that will want to drive the boat

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    I have an 1860 side console and it has a ton of space. I wouldn’t want it to be a CC as it would take up a lot of usable space. It’s the perfect size for everything you’re wanting to do. Big enough for a good sized bait tank without getting in the way

This too, side console gives an open middle and is still plenty stable in 18ft as far as weigh balancing. 18ft Express side console here
    Last edited by ecu1984; 03-02-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Something about running a filler handle at the beach in the creeks is relaxing

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Something about running a filler handle at the beach in the creeks is relaxing

yes it is. Im still running the one I bought from you
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I have a 16’ Hancock with a 40 Yamaha that just sits
    Come take it out and try it for a while and see how u like a filler.
    The Hancock is fun but I find myself using my other boats over the tiller because of how much easier a steering wheel is

My buddy bought a 20' seaark rivercat with a 90 tiller yamaha on it a few years ago. Best all around boat I have ever been in. Got it in Georgetown. Has fished many lakes up here around Charlotte and Murrells inlet an all over the north edisto. Can fish up to 4 with 2 coolers and a 30 gallon bait tank in it.

Very easy to run at the coast or anywhere for that matter with the hydraulic help on the tiller
    Last edited by Big Timber; 03-02-2019 at 02:19 PM.

steering wheel as you are stating "all purpose"
    Your wife and kids will thank you