Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Hunting Waterfowl In Flooded Corn Fair Chase?

Meanwhile, we will be waiting for Gregory to come back and tell us that flooding standing crops for hunting waterfowl is not a white 1974 International Scout or some other nonsense...

It’s the damn corn, not the pressure of being hunted for 5 months over thousands of miles... Every... Frickin... Day...

Spinning wings don’t help neither

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Like JAB said, we need more ducks. More eggs hatched and growing into birds that fly south. Less coons, foxes, hawks, possums, etc that kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Like JAB said, we need more ducks. More eggs hatched and growing into birds that fly south. Less coons, foxes, hawks, possums, etc that kill them.
    That and more habitat

What we don't need is 8 of every 10 dollars being spent with one organization. We tried that. Here we are running out of ducks...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    What we don't need is 8 of every 10 dollars being spent with one organization. We tried that. Here we are running out of ducks...
    But they have great parties..... In all seriousness, Delta seems way more in touch with the average duck hunter, why do they not have a stronger presence?
    cut\'em

All the ducks are going back to Cali, where they take in any person or animal seeking refuge.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Flooding of crops for hunting has been happening in South Carolina since the late1800's if not before
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

If they passed a law making hunting over flooded crops illegal, it would make hunting worse for the public hunter..

If there are 1000 flooded agricultual impoundments in SC. .....there would be 600 new refugees after the law was passed.

Most of the private landowners would still plant, flood, and just watch the ducks,.....which is just about as rewarding as killing them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    If they passed a law making hunting over flooded crops illegal, it would make hunting worse for the public hunter..

If there are 1000 flooded agricultual impoundments in SC. .....there would be 600 new refugees after the law was passed.

Most of the private landowners would still plant, flood, and just watch the ducks,.....which is just about as rewarding as killing them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Possibly, and while I’m sure some would spend a lot of money to do some expensive bird watching and help improve the ecology of the state, most won’t. I agree that watching birds is exciting, but I think what makes it exciting is knowing that large bird numbers and a variety of species will enhance the rest of the hunt that comes after the scouting. Watching dogs work, the camaraderie, the discussion of fine shotguns, the satisfaction and adrenaline rush that comes from working ducks into the spread, playing jokes on guys in the blind, enjoying succulent whole roasted teal and summer ducks, as well as perfectly seared mallard breasts, are all equally important parts that make the sport what it is.
    Last edited by wskinner; 03-01-2019 at 10:06 AM.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

No doubt it’s a blast to watch them. Would be harder to get motivated in July and August tho. Killin em is mo fun. I speak for myself tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Meanwhile, we will be waiting for Gregory to come back and tell us that flooding standing crops for hunting waterfowl is not a white 1974 International Scout or some other nonsense...
    Wow, looks like I touched an inflamed nerve. My question is, why is it legal ? It is certainly not a bona fide agricultural practice. But then again, I shoot doves over a sunflower field that hasn't been cut. No difference in my opinion. Back to the question about fair chase. These are wild birds that can come and go as they wish, so, yes, it's fair chase. Have corn ponds changed duck hunting in the last 50 years? No question they have. I guess they are more of an ethical question. Let me ask you, would you rather shoot four greenheads in the flooded bottoms of the White River or a corn pond?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Wow, looks like I touched an inflamed nerve. My question is, why is it legal ? It is certainly not a bona fide agricultural practice.
    No, you just are not making any sense.

"Why is it legal?" Because it is specifically allowed in the language of the Federal and State laws that govern such activity.

Your "bona fide agricultural practice" has about as much bearing on legal duck hunting as the rules of minor league soccer in Japan do.

I know it's legal. My question is why? Baiting laws are based on "bona fide" agricultural practices. I'm not pointing fingers or disparaging corn ponds. I just don't understand the logic behind the law.

I know it's legal. My question is why? Baiting laws are based on "bona fide" agricultural practices. I'm not pointing fingers or disparaging corn ponds. I just don't understand the logic behind the law.
    Because rich people like to shoot ducks and they have the money to dike, plant, and flood. Rich people have influence over politicians. Pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    I can agree with this 100%...and while fixing things let’s ecourage shooting drakes (or limit shooting hens). Doesn’t make any sense to me that people pound the hens then say they want more ducks. And the studies that say killing hens doesn’t make a difference....I got some ocean front property in Arizona I’d like to sell ya

Baiting laws are based on "bona fide" agricultural practices.
    Lol. No.

Lol. Yes.

Then please tell us how?

Have you ever had a game warden check a dove field? What's he looking for?