Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone do fiberglass repair ? need advise on a patch

Fairing compound?

FINALLY got around to doing this.. not the prettiest but now I’ll let it dry, then sand down. I added some 410 which is why it looks goopy.
    Then apply some Bottom Paint I guess. Either that or some gel coat touch up if I can find something similar in color.

853372E0-0F65-4E85-B375-8DC05EF529A6.jpg
    Last edited by duckz; 04-25-2019 at 02:58 PM.

And sanded.. looks pretty sweet. Not a pro but.. It’ll kill ducks!
    I just can’t find any paint to match up. Most bottom paints are blue, white, grey. No marsh colors for us duck boats?

image.jpg
    Last edited by duckz; 04-26-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Can I go ahead and put it in the water now, or do I have to paint over? I used West 105 resin and hardener.
    Last edited by duckz; 04-28-2019 at 03:58 PM.

I wouldn't put it in water yet. It will soak up moisture and take a while to completely dry out.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I'd skim coat it one more time a little wider out and get those dimple spots missed around the edges of your patch and then sand her smooth.
    Told ya, there isn't anything to it

I just used the bondo fiberglass gel for a repair on my boat a few weeks ago. I'd say the gel would work better on a vertical surface than the resin. The texture is kinda like mayonnaise or a very thin peanut butter. It's easy to work in the cracks before it sets up. They sell it at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I'd skim coat it one more time a little wider out and get those dimple spots missed around the edges of your patch and then sand her smooth.
    Told ya, there isn't anything to it
    Seriously! And to believe that I was getting quotes from $300-$400 ! It cost my $40 and 1/2hour time.
    Now that I’ve done that, I’m gonna fill in the rest of the dings and then repaint the entire outside.

I’ll get to that one day.. haha

I’m about to get started on sanding down the outside but I need to know, what do I need to do after I peal off the registration lettering? If I sand over it will it be fine? I’m worried about and glue residue that I may need to clean up. Acetone? Paint thinner.. ? What’s best here

Just wet sand it to get the residue and trash built up off.

I do believe you would overthink tying a shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I do believe you would overthink tying a shoe.
    That’s why I have Velcro!!

cleaned with acetone, sanded with 150paper and first coat rolled with foam roller. I’ll let it sit overnight and get second coat on after. It came out lighter than the original color, I’m contemplating on taking it to Home Depot and having them try to add a drop of brown to it.

Before
    924C1A1A-55A3-4DAA-87AF-760A43AE70C9.jpg

After
    67CF2050-B215-4FE1-B4CC-3B3219E0B61C.jpg
    Last edited by duckz; 05-02-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Finally got all the crazy led lights off the front of the boat. Now I am stuck with holes everywhere!! I have attached a picture below but wanted to know how to go about patching this type hole.
    The last areas that I did were only scuffs and not through holes. I saw some videos online and one guy used cardboard piece inside the hole and one guy just made a circle of fiberglass, put it over the hole and covered it in epoxy.

Any better way that anyone has found to create a good backing and fill these holes ? I wasnt too sure if the guy who used the carboard was just using it as a backing and then took it away, or just left it. Its not a very wide hole but I feel like I need somethin sturdy in the hole, or will a few layers of fiberglass hold ?

Should I use straight epoxy/hardener or would I be better off adding in any filler compound? YouTube you see a lot of crazies out there, I don’t want to half ass it, I’d prefer good recommendations.

AACE5980-1785-4614-91F3-B051246FF8B7.jpg
    Last edited by duckz; 07-01-2019 at 04:36 PM.

If you already have the stuff use epoxy, hardener and 406 or something around there. Taper the hole edge to increase bonding surface area and put a piece of masking tape or something on the other side. Fill it up, let it dry, prep, paint. Or you could use marinetex if you don’t already have all the stuff.

The easiest way is to soak a dowel rod in epoxy then jam it in there, once it dries fill whats left with epoxy.

The other way is take a grinder and dish it out, begin laying layers of mat overlapping until it is built up. Sand then use an epoxy fairing compound to finish it, then paint.

Quote Originally Posted by cam1195 View Post
    If you already have the stuff use epoxy, hardener and 406 or something around there. Taper the hole edge to increase bonding surface area and put a piece of masking tape or something on the other side. Fill it up, let it dry, prep, paint. Or you could use marinetex if you don’t already have all the stuff.
    Does the epoxy not stick to the tape? For the hole on the right I can do that, just wasn’t sure about the tape actually sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    The easiest way is to soak a dowel rod in epoxy then jam it in there, once it dries fill whats left with epoxy.

The other way is take a grinder and dish it out, begin laying layers of mat overlapping until it is built up. Sand then use an epoxy fairing compound to finish it, then paint.
    The hole on the left has foam all in it so I’ll definitely try the dowel out on that.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post

Exactly this or if you can get your hand underneath and inside thru an access, wet a piece of cloth in resin and stick it across the holes from the underneath inside. Once it dries, your holes have a floor and mix some resin and chopped up cloth and fill it, sand it and gel coat it if you want it done right and a perfect match
    Last edited by ecu1984; 07-01-2019 at 07:37 PM.

I’ve been kinda busy lately but I just got around to sanding down the second coat on a few spots. i would say I got this thing down alright. No pro, but it all came out smooth and looking good. The pictures may not look as smooth but they are clean.
    Now I will wait a few days and paint the entire top rail. I was able to patch the large holes that were for LED lights. Smoothed our the side rail where someone must have stepped and cracked it, then filled some cleat holes and other misc holes.
    Thanks for all the help here

539BA231-C654-4D67-958C-927E59BAF687.jpg
    DBF95385-420C-4A28-BAD4-39A90F2D2D4C.jpg
    35BD3B6E-9343-4DF0-BC72-FBDCF49F8534.jpg
    47FB9FF2-0D6E-4A6F-8CD5-211DE28A4723.jpg
    Last edited by duckz; 07-24-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Good stuff!
    Get some fairing compound and clean it up a little more before paint. Especially the second picture.