Thread: pre-emergents for corn/sunflowers?

Default pre-emergents for corn/sunflowers?

I'm converting an old cattle pasture into a dove field this year. It's around 7 acres. I've burned it and disced it a couple times and I'm about to send off the soil samples. Judging from nearby fields that were converted a last year, it likely won't need much lime, if any. It still needs to be run over with the field cultivator a few more times to smooth it out. I plan to plant alternating strips of corn and Clearfield sunflowers with a border of Sunn hemp as a visual buffer from the road. I have a broadcast spreader and an ATV mounted boomless sprayer so I won't be able to apply anything once the stuff gets too tall. I'll leave a gap between the sunflowers and corn wide enough for the ATV and space them so the sprayer can reach everything.

What would some of you experienced farmers recommend in the way of herbicide preparation? Any other ad hoc advice is also welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

dual magnum
    but i dont know much about pastures
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You will have the best shot at a clean field this year. Don't get lazy on pre or post emergent weed control.

I recommend finding someone with a row planter (preferably no til) and a real sprayer.

I've got a JD 7200 two row planter. I'm looking for a real boom sprayer but think I can manage with this mini boomless sprayer again this year if I don't find one I can afford. It actually did a decent job on sunflowers last year once I got it calibrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've got a JD 7200 two row planter. I'm looking for a real boom sprayer but think I can manage with this mini boomless sprayer again this year if I don't find one I can afford. It actually did a decent job on sunflowers last year once I got it calibrated.
    I spray mine with a 25 gallon boomless 4wheeler sprayer. They work fine but like you said, plant height limits your ability to spray later. As far as herbicides, I've had good luck with Cadre so far. I believe I've been applying 4oz/acre but I'd have to look back to be certain. Getting your hands on it may be difficult though because you have to have a license to buy it. If you can find it, it is expensive, but 1/2 gallon has lasted me several years only spraying 4-5 acres. My biggest problem in my field is sicklepod. Very little grass/morning glories/etc so I've not sprayed pre-emergent in a couple of years. I never had any luck with pre-emergent controlling sicklepod so I just haven't done it.

I like dual magnum along with spartan charge for preemergent. Seems to do a good job on grasses and broadleaves. I tried Warrant last year and was not pleased. It did not seem to work and I applied it at slightly higher rate than needed. BTW I have some Warrant I need to be rid of...…..