Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Few

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I killed one one morning in college on hartwell, it may have been a little early but my clock may have been off some. Anyway, I rolled it over and it was sporting a shiny band. I was heartbroken when I read SCWA on it. In its defense though it was marked 2000 and this was like 03 or 04. Like Baldpate said though, you don't really have to look at the toes anymore, the pen birds look puny. Seems they would look like a dang goose after filling up on all that corn though lol
    I hunted Hartwell on a big freeze when I was up there. I scouted and had a lot of birds pinned down. I was picky and only shot greenheads and passed on the other ducks until I had my 4. I didn't get in the boat to pick up birds until I was done. Lo and behold, every mallard was a clip toe. The freeze locked up someone's tamie club. That was disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I killed one one morning in college on hartwell, it may have been a little early but my clock may have been off some. Anyway, I rolled it over and it was sporting a shiny band. I was heartbroken when I read SCWA on it. In its defense though it was marked 2000 and this was like 03 or 04. Like Baldpate said though, you don't really have to look at the toes anymore, the pen birds look puny. Seems they would look like a dang goose after filling up on all that corn though lol
    I used to hate that they bought Frost Trust from Wisconsin to South Carolina. In the end, being so far removed from any wild genetics, they truly are turning into chickens. It may end up being the thing that kills it...

Tamies.

Damn we had some great duck hunting in the late 70's, 80's and early 90's the grass carp cleaning out the lakes put a hurtin on it and it has never recovered. For me when young it was the Can and the Black that held the allure- mallards were everywhere. I had a number of favorite swamp runs we could walk in to and kill a mixed bag limit almost every time, loved standing on the dike and listening for the wings, usually my dog would let me know which way to watch.

I sure wish one of my grandsons would get the fever- it would make me get out of bed to go shoot a Woodie.

I killed truckloads of ducks and never got a band.
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 02-27-2019 at 04:52 PM.

I've only killed five or six (only two with bands) but the tamies die easily. I've never not had one fall dead in the water without hardly a quiver after the first shot. They are never plump and pretty like the wild boys, either.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Nice write up, Bog.

I'll take toofers tuna and dolphin steaks.

Back when they were still only a few generations removed from the wild, we could still very often pick them out on the wing. Now, even if they had the ability, it wouldn't even occur to them to fly far enough away from the pen to even run into one...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nice write up, Bog.

I'll take toofers tuna and dolphin steaks.
    Done.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Back when they were still only a few generations removed from the wild, we could still very often pick them out on the wing. Now, even if they had the ability, it wouldn't even occur to them to fly far enough away from the pen to even run into one...
    When they were coming from Frost, during his clipped-hen years, they were fairly wary birds.

Not very profitable for them to up and leave on a front and never return.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    When they were coming from Frost, during his clipped-hen years, they were fairly wary birds.

Not very profitable for them to up and leave on a front and never return.
    True statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I have told this story on here before. I think it was around '98 or '99. I live in western NC and this was near the top of the Catawba chain off a smaller river. When I say smaller I mean mountain smaller type and have seen muskie caught here and even saw 2 swim into a deep hole and the white bass I was fishing for went out upstream and downstream when the muskie came in. The river is mostly 1-2' deep sand bottom except for the holes in the bends. It was the last week of the season and we had hunted elsewhere and came here late morning scouting. I had never seen anything other than a few wood ducks here. We rode up this little river for a mile or 2 and had jumped nothing and all of a sudden we rounded a bend and jumped about 50 mallards. I was amazed. As we continued up river, we were jumping 50-200 every bend. There were 2 huge dry corn fields on both sides of the river here but everything else was woods. We threw out a few decoys cause the birds were just settling in behind us as we kept going. My friend and I killed 2 greenheads each out of the first draw and we picked up so we could bring more people the next morning. Out of 8 or 9 guys in 3 bends spread out the next morning I think we killed about 28 mallards and 3-4 blacks. They left after that and I never saw them there again. 2 of the greenheads had Jack Miner bands but of course I wasn't lucky enough to get one of those. These are the same birds that used to make their way down the Catawba chain and end up down there I am sure. There were probably 2-3 thousand birds in that group that had migrated in. Never would have thought I would see that in western NC and never will again I'm sure.

The very first Miner band that was returned came from the Catawba chain on the Wateree River. There was a pipeline...

I took a kid one time to Lake Robinson....,.called in a black duck and let him shoot it. It had a Jack Miner on 1 leg and and federal band on the other.

I was happy and pissed at the same time.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yeah Bog, Dad was THE stumphole hunter back in the day. I was blessed to be taught the ethics about duck hunting from him. I am 52 now and love it more each year even though it has changed so much. I also am blesssed to have had four boys to teach the right way to hunt.

(another thing) I get frustrated with some of the young hunters hunting the way they do, but I gues it is not all their fault. The younger generation is trying to get in the game and just don't have anyone to show them. I know reading on here from Jab, rubberhead,bog and alot of others you can tell someone showed them things that stuck, from fathers, uncles or just older friends. It doesnt matter if you hunt private or public it's still right and wrong. My friend I hunt with in Kansas can't believe the stories i tell him about our lake on opening morning.!!

Upstate foggy morning beatdown (17/18 season).

No worries fellas once limit is reduced it will be "the plenty"

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Pintails are such dicks here. In Canada or Mexico they are like skeeters.
    Nature...
    True story. And mallards everywhere have the circling disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post

Upstate foggy morning beatdown (17/18 season).
    Fant's Grove?