Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Few

Good stuff Bog
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

so, you suck at killing mallards?

buncha ass kissers in here
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Grew up with parents having a place on lower Marion...hunted the Sandy/Bass/Church Island chain with great success from say 80 on....Ferguson's Landing, Grassy Cut, Duck Pond Flats, Redbird Hole, the list goes on and on...was an awesome place to grow up as a child. Sad to see how it has become but just like everything it is cyclical and dynamic.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane...
    Last edited by FishSticker; 02-27-2019 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Damn "smart" phone

Awesome read man, thanks for sharing!
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    so, you suck at killing mallards?

buncha ass kissers in here
    I’ve decided. No tuna or dolphin for you this spring.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Good read. I branched out and found "a good many" this year. I got greedy and lit 15 on the water in a slough at first light. I picked out a drake and short-shucked my 870 in the excitement and split the shell and couldn't get it out. 15 seconds of mallards crisscrossing 15 yards away and all I could do was fumble with the gun and watch. I had two more draws of them come in throughout the morning, so it helped ease the pain. Ended up with my 4 that morning.

Great read. I have the same obsession. You broke rule number 1......no pictures!
    Last edited by BRR; 02-27-2019 at 09:00 AM.

i take it back! I take it back!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

We had some fun back then. Those are the stories I will be telling as an old man reminiscing about duck hunting. I'll never be able to live down whiffing on that black duck sitting on the water.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Faitsie's son still does it like his dad.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Good read Clark and very accurate. As for the wild mallard identifications, you will know when you kill a wild bird. They will be twice the size of a pen raised bird and all of its features will be much greater. You can lay the 2 side by side and it’s silly how a pen raised bird looks.
    U serious Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Faitsie's son still does it like his dad.
    Yessir.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

My son killed these on the last youth day up near stumphole.
    None had clip toes, but you could tell one drake was way bigger than the other and had a lot of fat, he came in alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude. Zoom out a little. I cant tell where that's at.

Nice read sir. Its funny how one type of duck can absolutely consume your mind. Even a particular body of water. I love hunting areas that are over pressured or have low numbers and having success. That has become a passion of mine. Getting it done when and where others don't.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Killin mallards became a goal for me at an early age. Me and my buddies had plenty of wooducks but another group of friends would kill some mallards. Even 30+ years ago they kept their place a secret.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Unfortunately I was born to late to see the golden years of SC duck hunting. I remember probably 15 years ago rounding a bend in a creek off Big Pee Dee river and seeing 50+ mallards sitting on the water. Watching 50+ wild mallards get up off the water in a backwater SC creek is something I doubt I'll ever see again.

I decoyed and killed a group of 3 in an Horry county beaver swamp this year and both drakes and clipped toes. I don't know where they could have came from.

Hunted a friend’s beaver pond at the end of the season. Saw 60+ wild mallards and had about 15 of them work. Had a pair come from behind that almost scratched my head as they came in. Seeing multiple groups feet down in the decoys, in SC, is one of my top hunting experiences.
    Last edited by wskinner; 02-27-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Good stuff Bog

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    ...I don't know where they could have came from.
    The "I don't hunt where there are tamies" argument doesn't hold up unfortunately. All it takes is your neighbor's neighbor to buy a 50 pack for their pond. It doesn't take a corn pond and SCWA endorsement for you to get stragglers in your decoy spread. I came to realize this when the "push of big ducks" turned out to be the holdouts from someone's Saturday shoot up the branch. Seeing that clip toe is disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    The "I don't hunt where there are tamies" argument doesn't hold up unfortunately. All it takes is your neighbor's neighbor to buy a 50 pack for their pond. It doesn't take a corn pond and SCWA endorsement for you to get stragglers in your decoy spread. I came to realize this when the "push of big ducks" turned out to be the holdouts from someone's Saturday shoot up the branch. Seeing that clip toe is disappointing.
    I killed one one morning in college on hartwell, it may have been a little early but my clock may have been off some. Anyway, I rolled it over and it was sporting a shiny band. I was heartbroken when I read SCWA on it. In its defense though it was marked 2000 and this was like 03 or 04. Like Baldpate said though, you don't really have to look at the toes anymore, the pen birds look puny. Seems they would look like a dang goose after filling up on all that corn though lol
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.