Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food

Use to use Eukanuba but now use Pro Plan Sport. In my opinion both are great. The local vet I use said he's seen quite a few health issues with the grain fee/designer foods. That may be, at least in part, to designer breeds(mutt's).
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Also using the 4health. Cheaper of the grain free foods. Fed em the cheap stuff till one started having skin problems. Cleared it up.

I was in the packing industry for 5 years while I lived in Atlanta. Traveled all over the world working with food, beverage, and manufacturing facilities.

The stories I could tell you from pet food manufacturing facilities...honestly some of the same stories in food and beverage facilities as well.

I always fed my dogs 4-Health from Tractor Supply. Currently feeding my latest pup Nutrena Loyall Life from the local feed store. Pleased with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My lab eats Pro Plan my other dogs get Fromm and no that’s not a reference to UGAy

I’ve been feeding my herd River Run by nutrena for probably 3-4 years now. It really holds them up better than any other feed I’ve tried. IMO, it’s a better food than Pro Plan. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. Pro plan doesn’t impress me and I see a lot of dogs that are fed Pro plan and that are hunted hard- and it shows. The fat/protein differences in River run across the board is very noticeable in just a few days of feeding. I usually go to 30/20 when hunting season is in and I run my dogs more. This year when I switched up from24/20 it was too much and I was running 2 days a week, for what it’s worth. The 24/20 is holding my dogs far better than pro plan fed dogs that I hunt with day in and day out.

43 years experience. Wife's Cavalier spaniel died a few months ago , age 17. My Golden retriever is still going strong age 13. Neither had/has ever been fed store bought dog food. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    It's hard to go wrong with Purina Pro Plan.
    Said it first

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Go buy a dart. Any kind and weight will do.

Walk into store that carries dog food. Close eyes. Throw dart.

Whatever bag it stick into, buy that. Feed according to label directions.

What kind of dart

Default Dog Food

Last edited by Islandguy85; 02-15-2019 at 09:38 PM.

victor hi-pro plus

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post

What kind of dart

Those will work.

I personally use lawn and try to take out a breeder or two on the way to the food bags.

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    43 years experience. Wife's Cavalier spaniel died a few months ago , age 17. My Golden retriever is still going strong age 13. Neither had/has ever been fed store bought dog food. Food for thought.

Boykin lived to 17, lab that’s 15 and 11 still going strong and live on Pro Plan
    80-20 Genaration

Feed em a good food but most importantly, keep their weight down.

Ole Roy

Here are my criteria for choosing a dog food:
    (1) Better name brand (Purina and any of its incarnations, Iam's, Science Diet, Royal Canin)
    (2) Not grain-free
    (3) Not high protein (unless your dogs work hard for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week)
    (4) Not a boutique or small batch brand
    (5) The fewer colors in it, the better

Other commandments: It isn't the carbohydrate source that causes skin allergies. It's the protein, and these only constitute 15 to 25 % of skin allergies. There rest is environmental junk.

Don't drink the Kool-aide. Don't buy grain-free.

If you must feed a home-made diet, go to U. Calif-Davis' Veterinary School web site www.balanceit.com and get it right.
    Last edited by Zephyr; 02-19-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Hunting outside the box

Nutro.

I feed valu pak or pride to 20 dogs and not one eats its own shit. Cant say the same for when I fed PRo crap
    Windows Down!

I've been doing a lot of research regarding best dog food through the resources like https://goodpuppyfood.com/diets/what...r-weight-loss/ and have been going back and forth on what brand I should use. Tested out a few brands and Merrick Grain Free Healthy Weight turned out to fit her needs best and had excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Here are my criteria for choosing a dog food:
    (1) Better name brand (Purina and any of its incarnations, Iam's, Science Diet, Royal Canin)

Don't drink the Kool-aide. Don't buy grain-free.

If you must feed a home-made diet, go to U. Calif-Davis' Veterinary School web site www.balanceit.com and get it right.
    Zephyr, I'm disappointed. Science Diet is garbage. Take a good look at the ingredients list and the order of the ingredients. While there may be some specific medical cases that require their formulas for a short time, I wouldn't feed their food to the neighborhood junkyard dog.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 06-23-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

When I first got my puppy the vet told me that there was a lot of research that pointed to the grain free foods causing heart problems.