Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conquer The Rock 50k & 25k...

Default Conquer The Rock 50k & 25k...

Time to get movin'.

https://www.upstateultra.com/conquer-the-rock.html

Using this one as a warm up to a 12 hour run on March 9th at the LBL, on the Kentucky side.

https://runsignup.com/Race/KY/GrandR...Lakestrailruns

Body weight holding at 188-190 depending on the day. Body fat still 12% +/-. Road runs still suck but my trail runs are feeling good. Took a few weeks to get back in the groove after deer season ended but energy level and strength are solid as long as I do my part food wise.

Anyone else got any comps coming up?

Course loop with elevation changes...

https://www.strava.com/routes/12173286

That start is gonna suck. Straight up.

Good luck. No way in heck I could pull those kinds of miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

You poor fool.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Tu es pollo

Glenn - I didn't realize you had gotten into long distance running. I think we share a lot of the same beliefs when it comes to fitness and diet, but endurance running doesn't seem to be one of them. I've always thought we weren't designed to cover such distance as quickly as possible, and that includes by vehicle. Sprinting seems to be the best way to run.

Would you mind providing some of the research that has led to you to think endurance runs are good?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    Glenn - I didn't realize you had gotten into long distance running. I think we share a lot of the same beliefs when it comes to fitness and diet, but endurance running doesn't seem to be one of them. I've always thought we weren't designed to cover such distance as quickly as possible, and that includes by vehicle. Sprinting seems to be the best way to run.

Would you mind providing some of the research that has led to you to think endurance runs are good?
    Man I wish I had some. For training I still believe in and use sprinting. For some reason the trail running bug has bitten me. I HATE, let me emphasis, HATE road running. Can't stand it. But for some reason running trails is just a different animal. It's almost fun. When I decided to drop my body fat my strength went with it. I can still hold my own for a 49 year old man but I've come to grips that I'm about as strong as I'll be and as strong as I need to be. I still lift 5 days a week and hit my CF work outs. I've just started adding in some long'ish trail runs 1-2 days a week as well. Honestly gaining mass and strength is counter to my goals. I just want to be able to hunt as far from a road or truck as I need to.

Are endurance runs "good?" Who knows. I know they test me and force me to shut my head off and just move. I like that. I like just seeing if I can do it and testing my metal so to speak. I don't like comfort. I despise it. so I keep looking for new challenges and this is the latest for me.

ETA; It's also something else my wife and I do together. There's something to be said for suffering through things together.
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-13-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Tu es pollo
    Si
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

congrats on making healthy choices, you farking idiot
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 02-14-2019 at 08:01 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

what?!?! too much?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Stop flirting with me. It’s embarrassing.

Distance worked out to be 15.8 miles. Finished in 4 hrs 25 min.

The trail was tricky. Lots of water and slick. Felt good. Had a little cramping in the calves around mile 10 or 11. Shot of electrolytes knocked that out.

Now to let my feet heal up and get ready for next week in Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    Glenn - I've always thought we weren't designed to cover such distance as quickly as possible, and that includes by vehicle. Sprinting seems to be the best way to run.

In the evolutionary big picture, we got the short end of the stick for being sprinters. Just Google Daniel Lieberman and that will give you al the research on the topic you desire
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

No. Just no.

That is a looooong way
    Last edited by DJP; 03-02-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Nice work.

Are your feet tore up? Or just sore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Mostly sore. One small blister on my left big toe. May lose the nail on the second toe same foot. Had a rock break about mile 6 or 7 and it caused a slip and the jagged edge stabbed me just behind my big toe. Just a scratch. Other than that just some soreness in both feet and my calves.

No cramping. I believe I’ve got the electrolytes figured out. It was a great day. Weather was perfect. And table rock is eat slap up with pigs. Sign all over that mountain.

Was trail as technical as Jones Gap?

Rubberhead

Just as technical along most of it and worse in some areas.

P 200 coming up. My part is only 16.5 miles, hoping to average 7:45 per mile.

Dawhoo - I appreciate the suggestion on Lieberman. I've read some of his stuff in the past. While I think he is probably correct on barefoot running and proper form, I still can't come to grips with long distance running being a good thing. There is some evidence that chronic cardio, which I would classify as long distance running, lowers testosterone levels and may not be good for the joints.

I still think sprinting is best. Sprinters almost always look more muscular and athletic. I don't recall ever seeing a true marathoner or cross country runner and thinking they were physically strong. That said, I do think distance runners, especially extreme distance runners, have exceptional mental fortitude. They can go to some very dark places.

I like this quote from strength coach Mark Rippetoe: "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general."