Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must to do's in Honolulu

Default Must to do's in Honolulu

Staying in Waikiki. Doing Pearl Harbor and the Arizona. Will probably do a snorkeling trip. School me on local eats and any decent nightlife scenes. Have rental car, will travel. NOT doing a helicopter tour. Thanks.

Drive along the North Shore. I found for the most part it is tough to find a decent meal in Hawaii. I don't understand why. Maybe we just rent to all the wrong places.

I'm going in June, I'm going to hunt axis deer for a couple of days. My wife is planning everything else.

Buy cigs while you still can
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Nico’s pier 38 has fairly priced seafood during lunch while you’re at Pearl Harbor. The drive to ka’ena point trail and the hike itself is pretty cool if you’re into that and have the time. Waikiki is an overrated tourist city. Get away from there and explore the rest of the island. Plan your drives around rush hour because the traffic is horrible.

Duke's is a touristy restaurant on the beach in Waikiki but I've had some damn good meals there. Teddy's Bigger Burgers across from the zoo has good burgers.

Hanauma Bay is an easy touristy snorkeling site east of Diamond head. Diamond Head isn't really much to see either.

North Shore is worth the drive. Cut through the island on H3 to go to North Shore on the long country/scenic route. You can rent gear and snorkel at Shark Bay to see some fish and probably a few turtles. My buddy even saw a Hawaiian seal. Kono's a little south of there is a damn good sandwich shop with a pretty good BBQ sandwich. Their logo is a black pig standing on a surfboard. The Dole tourist trap isn't worth the stop. Traffic sucks in Waikiki.

Find Dog and Beth

Bellows Beach (sp?) local beach the last time I was there..less of the huddled masses. I think its a state park.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Polynesian Culture Center. Take in a Luau- lots of those to choose from. Always fun and you cant go to one in SC. They feed you well too.

Food- If you don't like Asian influenced cuisine, you are gonna be disappointed. That said find a LauLau Pork place for some Hawaiian BBQ. Spam Musubis are great too.

Need to eat some Poke'. ( my cousin lives on Oahu and he swears by Ahi Assassins for Poke') I was impressed. they have like 12 different kinds of Poke'.. pretty cool in that it's a day catch place. No fish caught? Closed for the day..

Roy's is a local standard. Worth one evening there.

Helena's for Kalua Pork BBQ ( .James Beard award winning place believe it or not).. It's damn good.

Gaku- damn fine Sushi. One of the best I've ever eaten at.

Alan Wong's .. another place that will impress.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Polynesian Culture Center. Take in a Luau- lots of those to choose from. Always fun and you cant go to one in SC. They feed you well too.

Food- If you don't like Asian influenced cuisine, you are gonna be disappointed. That said find a LauLau Pork place for some Hawaiian BBQ. Spam Musubis are great too.

Need to eat some Poke'. ( my cousin lives on Oahu and he swears by Ahi Assassins for Poke') I was impressed. they have like 12 different kinds of Poke'.. pretty cool in that it's a day catch place. No fish caught? Closed for the day..

Roy's is a local standard. Worth one evening there.

Helena's for Kalua Pork BBQ ( .James Beard award winning place believe it or not).. It's damn good.

Gaku- damn fine Sushi. One of the best I've ever eaten at.

Alan Wong's .. another place that will impress.
    Is there anywhere you have not made a turd?
    DILLIGAF

Definitely planned on avoiding the masses, finding authentic poké, and visiting the North Shore. Thanks for the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Is there anywhere you have not made a turd?
    I have a healthy appetite for adventure... of all types. Every once on a while, I need to fuel up.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    Definitely planned on avoiding the masses, finding authentic poké, and visiting the North Shore. Thanks for the recommendations.
    Any interest in fishing while there ?? My cousin does the offshore deal every week and he know who is on em. It's pretty solid Ahi and Ono season right now.. they have been catching the hell out the Ono ( before the big storm of this week).
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Would love to do some fishing if time allows. May have to let the fam drop me off and them do their own thing one day.

Rip a wave brah!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

And get us some SPAM recipes for camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I'd recommend watching the outdoor Hula lessons in the park. Dole Plantation was interesting as was Club Alley Cat.
    Last edited by HARV; 02-12-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Get fucked up and try your hand at hula dancing

Triple , Dole's was a good trip. On the way to North shore we ate on side the road hut with good Poke'. Go to any local beach and you can get your weed on.

I was stationed at Kaneohe Marine Corps Base on the windward side of the Island. I would check out Lanikai Beach, the Pill Box Hike which overlooks Lanikai Beach. Cinnamons in lanikai has a great breakfast, Go to lanikai juice for a smoothie/açaí bowland get an extravaganza bowl with honey If you like whales; now is a good time to see humpback whales. The Makapu lighthouse walk you can see them jumping offshore. Koko head is a more difficult hike but spectacular views. X2 on Roy’s. Another less touristy place that’s good is Haleiwa Joe’s in Kaneohe or the North Shore. This is also the time of year for big waves at the north shore some of the big surf events may be going on. Like others have said Dukes is fun and if your at Dukes you got to get a lava flow with a dark rum floater. If you’re into beer Kona Brewing Company has a spot in Hawaii Kai. You can get decent Poke from a lot of the grocery stores. I think Foodland (local chain) has the best. Eat I it with furikake and seaweed paper with rice.