Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of Lake Marion

Let's just cut down the trees in Sparkleberry while we are at it. The boaters and skiers would surely love that as well!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

For those that want it, venture to lake Murray in the summer and let me know how much fun you have. Looking at it from the outside, a lake that isn’t covered in boats racing up and down the lake is a wonderful thing. You cut the trees and it will never be the same.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    For those that want it, venture to lake Murray in the summer and let me know how much fun you have. Looking at it from the outside, a lake that isn’t covered in boats racing up and down the lake is a wonderful thing. You cut the trees and it will never be the same.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

I say keep the trees! But I am for dropping the lake down and planting every flat that is exposed with jap millet. Last time the lake dropped, the eel grass bloomed once water came back up, and the ducks were insane! If there wasn’t 2000 birds sitting on Russellville flats, there wasn’t one!
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Let's just cut down the trees in Sparkleberry while we are at it. The boaters and skiers would surely love that as well!
    Completely unrelated, there is an MOA protecting all living trees within the SCPSA property lines.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Cut the trees and it will become Murray. Screw the jet skies and skiers, there are plenty of lakes for them. Let’s leave the trees increase the grass and have two bodies of water for fishing and hunting.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

I'm with bogster on this one

Yall are gonna fuck it this lake all up,might as well just sell the bastard and make it private.Yall could fuck up a shit sandwich in a wet dream...so how much is going to cost to sell your souls?

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Completely unrelated, there is an MOA protecting all living trees within the SCPSA property lines.
    That runs with the land when it is sold to the new owner?

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    Yep. I have a strict policy about Murray when I do get talked into going there. I do not go below where the river splits from April 1st - Oct 1st. Jet skis, go fast boats and tritoons with 300's on em as far as the eye can see and 9 out of 10 people operating them are either drunk, stupid or both.
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 02-14-2019 at 09:40 AM.

This is the dumbest political idea I've heard of in a while. If you cant run from point a to b to c on the Santee Cooper lakes without tearing up a boat, you need to find another hobby. Clearing the whole lake of stumps will open up a new can of worms.

I think one of them Democrats got his fishing line caught in a trotline,now he wants to cut every stump so no one can tie one onto no more.

is it a bad thing for half of the lake to be too dangerous to drive a jetski or pull a skier?

Lake Marion is the only lake I know of that has had to put up with a mine field of vertical timber. They were in the process clearing them when WWII started but had to flood early for hydroelectric power. This concept has been debated for years. The lake is positioned well politically to get some attention.

A small timberman is clearing dead floating logs, previously cut timber on the bottom and removing vertical timber for another navigation channel. They are paying Santee per board ft they harvest.

I am only discussing removal of dead vertical trees in deep water. I cannot see any detrimental wildlife issues. I'm sure the Audubon Society will tell me the cormorants need a stump to sit on while they dry their wings and digest a pound of fish each morning. I'm sure someone will bring up how their Pappy used to stump jump for crappie.

I would like to run out and chase schooling striper. Or maybe shoot across the lake to fish the river channel. How about getting three dozen herring and night fishing? Maybe take my kids out to ski without fear of 200 boats full of drunks turning circles around them when they fall?

The reality is the bulk of the lake has been inaccessible for its entire existence. You can cross at the dam or at the one cleared crossing. The lake has not developed as many others have. I guess that is good and bad depending on who you talk to. The main reason is it is so far away from a major population. The trees have had some impact on this as well.

For those of you who have never seen the big water when the water is low imagine this, drive out to Sparkleberry or any swamp and visualize what it would be like if you cut every tree of at 25 ft above the ground then flooded it with 25 ft of water. Enjoy your boating.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Lake Marion is the only lake I know of that has had to put up with a mine field of vertical timber.
    Im not saying its anywhere as bad as marion, I know its not, but Clarks Hill isnt exactly a bag of fun when its down either in some places...
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 02-14-2019 at 10:00 AM.

It's called go slow,paddle,or turn your ass around.

All the negatives of other lakes you list will be problems here too. Deal with the trees, less people running around is good for everyone. You certainly can fish stumps below the surface if the trees are cut off, but now you will have jet skies and drunks buzzing all around you. Y’all just made steps forward with aquatic vegitation why take one step forward and ten backwards. You don’t have to paint a picture of what is there, everyone saying don’t cut the trees know what’s there. The lake has been this way for so long and people have done just fine navigating.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Im not saying its anywhere as bad as marion, I know its not, but Clarks Hill isnt exactly a bag of fun when its down either in some places...
    CH is a terrible place all the time, even when it's up. God awful I tell ya
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 02-14-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    You need to hush up about that lake, CH is a terrible place all the time, even when it's up. God awful I tell ya
    Strom Thurmond is worse.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 02-14-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Strom Thurmond is a terrible place.
    Awful, and don't call it that please. You're better than that