Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 610

Thread: Pics of Lake Marion

  1. #401
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Summerville
    Posts
    11,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    No but all of these things impact the development and use of the resource just like removing 25 ft dead timber located 6 inches below the surface rendering 37,000 acres of a lake dangerous at speeds greater than idle.
    And there it is.

    Besides what’s wrong with having speed bumps in the middle of the lake? One could argue it makes the lake safer because you don’t have the crowds and people acting a fool like you do on Murray. Removing the stumps could make the lake more dangerous. And jumping out of the boat or falling while wake boarding onto one of those stumps that’s only 3ft below the water line when the lake is being let down could kill a guy.

  2. #402
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Wateree, South Carolina
    Posts
    33,827

    Default

    Let's look at it logically. How many people are killed on Murray every year vs. Marion? Last person on Marion I remember was killed in in a whisky vs channel marker incident...

  3. #403
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    No but all of these things impact the development and use of the resource just like removing 25 ft dead timber located 6 inches below the surface rendering 37,000 acres of a lake dangerous at speeds greater than idle.
    The allure of the Santee Cooper lakes is knowing that lurking underneath the water are 1000's of trees ready to rip your lower unit off. You just have to respect it and go slow.

    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    16,594

    Default

    If it can be done without costing the taxpayers.....it should be.

    From Harry's to Randolph's is normally a safe ride. It was a mine field in November after the storms. The barge removed logs for weeks. It's finally safe.....until the next big wind event.

    The problem for these self proclaimed navigation experts is......these vertical logs drift into the channels all the time. There is one right now between Nelson's and the Red Banks. Two weeks ago there were two in the channel markers crossing over to the brickyard.

    Again....no taxpayers funding, cut the stumps, and ban pontoons.

    Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

  5. #405
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Branchville
    Posts
    4,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    If it can be done without costing the taxpayers.....it should be.

    From Harry's to Randolph's is normally a safe ride. It was a mine field in November after the storms. The barge removed logs for weeks. It's finally safe.....until the next big wind event.

    The problem for these self proclaimed navigation experts is......these vertical logs drift into the channels all the time. There is one right now between Nelson's and the Red Banks. Two weeks ago there were two in the channel markers crossing over to the brickyard.

    Again....no taxpayers funding, cut the stumps, and ban pontoons.

    Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

    The next time there is a big storm, it will be the same. And the vast majority of it has nothing to do with the timber that y'all want cleared.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

    Thomas Jefferson

  6. #406
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Summerville
    Posts
    11,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Let's look at it logically. How many people are killed on Murray every year vs. Marion? Last person on Marion I remember was killed in in a whisky vs channel marker incident...
    I've been looking for these statistics and they are not readily available. Plenty of DNR reports and CG reports that talk statistics has a whole for the state but none that I could find that breaks them down by body of water. I'm sure the data is available, you'd just have to call and get it.

  7. #407
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Summerville
    Posts
    11,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The users of the lake deserve better.
    Help me understand this one DT? I just don't get it. The users "deserve better"....says who? Entitlement much?

  8. #408
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    405

    Default

    You could use the stumps to make fat lighter, than use money you make for its sale to payoff the VC Summer debacle!!

  9. #409
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Wateree, South Carolina
    Posts
    33,827

    Default

    I realize that we need electricity. Man made impoundments like Lake Marion, provide it for us. I am ALL for a sale of state owned Santee Cooper to a private power company, especially if it will relieve us of the 8 billion in debt that we find ourselves in.

  10. #410
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    16,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    The next time there is a big storm, it will be the same. And the vast majority of it has nothing to do with the timber that y'all want cleared.
    Once again, you don't know what your talking about.

    Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

  11. #411
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Wateree, South Carolina
    Posts
    33,827

    Default

    Bunn, what would you say is an "average" run in a bass boat from Randolph's to Pack's?

  12. #412
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,536

    Default

    Again stupid shit. Let’s just drain it all and finish the job of logging and clearing the lake. This includes sparkleberry
    .
    80-20 Genaration

  13. #413
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Branchville
    Posts
    4,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Once again, you don't know what your talking about.

    Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    I grew up on Lake Marion, and we still have a house that sits about 100 feet from the water. So, I am probably much more knowledgeable about the lake than you realize.
    Last edited by fuzzy; 02-17-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Auto correct and/or fat thumbs
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

    Thomas Jefferson

  14. #414
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ballard's Landing
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Once again, you don't know what your talking about.
    You can add Reeltight to that list.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

  15. #415
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Wateree, South Carolina
    Posts
    33,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Again stupid shit. Let’s just drain it all and finish the job of logging and clearing the lake. This includes sparkleberry
    Of course. We can't let the Beach Company benefit on one end of the lake and allow the Pack family to suffer the stumps on the other end...

  16. #416
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    15,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    And there it is.

    Besides what’s wrong with having speed bumps in the middle of the lake? One could argue it makes the lake safer because you don’t have the crowds and people acting a fool like you do on Murray. Removing the stumps could make the lake more dangerous. And jumping out of the boat or falling while wake boarding onto one of those stumps that’s only 3ft below the water line when the lake is being let down could kill a guy.
    Yep, that's exactly what we need - more meddling in the name of safety and security imposed on use by the crown.

    If you want safety, stay home, you stupid cunt.

  17. #417
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Summerville
    Posts
    11,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    You can add Reeltight to that list.
    Why? Because I think the cons out way the so called pros or because I don’t have a house on the lake
    Last edited by reeltight; 02-17-2019 at 09:13 AM.

  18. #418
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Branchville
    Posts
    4,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Yep, that's exactly what we need - more meddling in the name of safety and security imposed on use by the crown.

    If you want safety, stay home, you stupid cunt.
    You beat me to it.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

    Thomas Jefferson

  19. #419
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Branchville
    Posts
    4,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Why? Because I think the cons out way the so called pros or because I don’t have a house on the lake
    Because anyone that doesn't agree with him is an ignorant fool. I don't know why the state doesn't just hire him to manage all of the state's resources.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

    Thomas Jefferson

  20. #420
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Summerville
    Posts
    11,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Yep, that's exactly what we need - more meddling in the name of safety and security imposed on use by the crown.

    If you want safety, stay home, you stupid cunt.
    This is funny. People are arguing to clear the lake because the creeks are crowded and unsafe. I’m for doing nothing...not medaling for any reason.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •