Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of Lake Marion

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The project is to remove them for navigation.
    I try to not be a man who automatically condemns that which I don't understand. And I don't understand this idea, so help me out here. Please elaborate on the logic behind why it would be a good idea to remove said timber.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Lawmakers/politicians never cease to amaze me.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

They will probably drain the lake dry just to cut this timber too SMH.

This isn’t a bad thing at all fellas.

I’m not answering for Duck Tape, but this project has been in discussion for a long time and really is good for Marion.

He can post up the details as he likes, but the dead forest could/should be cleared to 10ft below the surface at full levels.
    This would not impact fishing the timber as a structure, but would definitely help with navigating the area and lower the risk of ripping your motor off the back of your boat.
    This should’ve been done decades ago.
    As of now, unless you know the area well, you are limited to the stump free channel, and hugging the dam.

There are FAR more benefits to this than meet the eye.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

How much is that going to cost and who is going to pay for it?

There are 37,000 acres between the I 95 bridge and the dam that are filled with trees that have rotted off at water level. My plan is to clear them for navigation. Many still have timber value. Hopefully the timber will be valuable enough to attract private entities so they can be cleared. The area to be cleared would be a minimum of 10ft deep. I do not want to remove stumps.

This will make lake Marion safer and open up navigation in the big water. Trees with evidence of nesting cannot be removed.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    Lawmakers/politicians never cease to amaze me.
    Thank you.

I'm ok with removing trees that aren't healthy, that makes sense, but removing trees that are fine just to "get them out of the way" to have it easier to navigate I'm gonna have to ponder that one a while.

Thanks for the clarification.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

There are 37,000 acres between the I 95 bridge and the dam that are filled with trees that have rotted off at water level. My plan is to clear them for navigation. Many still have timber value. Hopefully the timber will be valuable enough to attract private entities so they can be cleared. The area to be cleared would be a minimum of 10ft deep. I do not want to remove stumps.

This will make lake Marion safer and open up navigation in the big water. Trees with evidence of nesting cannot be removed.
    Can you point to data that states the trees have been a safety and navigation issue?

How far up we talking? Into the upper Santee or east of 95?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Anyone still have the drawings of that Beach Company marina development at The Refuge?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Anyone still have the drawings of that Beach Company marina development at The Refuge?
    Wait. Are you suggesting? Naaaaah. Surely not.

Disregard. I see it now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boating is pretty much confined to the creeks of lake Marion. It is increasingly more congested since boaters do not dare run the big water.

But hey, I guess the cormorants do need a stump to sit on.

All I am saying is that Santee Cooper is getting ready to be sold out of State hands. This is the time to trust nothing, and be proactive about trying to keep as much of what you cherish as possible, because once it is gone, it is gone.

Navigation east of I-95. It boils down to cutting the dead forest down to 10ft below the water line, with the exception of documented nesting trees.

I’ve been here my whole life, and I don’t care how much time you spend here, you have to putt from Cypress Shores out into the dead forest and down to the dam. There is a huge portion of the lake that is dangerous to navigate.
    Lowering the water every few years to cut them down is great for the lakes in my opinion.

I’m generally curious in hearing the negatives from this.

Please post them as you think of em.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Y'all boys are done...SC whoring out itself once again. I didn't grow up in that area but it sounds like it was pretty cool. Will be neat to read the books about it one day....

Boating is pretty much confined to the creeks of lake Marion. It is increasingly more congested since boaters do not dare run the big water.

But hey, I guess the cormorants do need a stump to sit on.
    I get you. The lake is a man made impoundment and the only reason the dead forest wasn't cleared is because of the war. It has been effective at stifling development of that lake because who wants to water ski in a stumpfield? Removing all the stumps down to 10' subsurface would be a hell of a game changer for that lake and the surrounding area. Do we need another lake surrounded by houses? Do we want it? I guess we will see...

I don't think you get a say in it JAB3. It's for the good of the state and progressive development. Don't be so backward thinking...

If it has been like that for decades, why now? How many accidents have been as a result of the trees? Having to go slow may not be a bad thing!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.