Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of Lake Marion

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    No but all of these things impact the development and use of the resource just like removing 25 ft dead timber located 6 inches below the surface rendering 37,000 acres of a lake dangerous at speeds greater than idle.
    And there it is.

Besides what’s wrong with having speed bumps in the middle of the lake? One could argue it makes the lake safer because you don’t have the crowds and people acting a fool like you do on Murray. Removing the stumps could make the lake more dangerous. And jumping out of the boat or falling while wake boarding onto one of those stumps that’s only 3ft below the water line when the lake is being let down could kill a guy.

Let's look at it logically. How many people are killed on Murray every year vs. Marion? Last person on Marion I remember was killed in in a whisky vs channel marker incident...

No but all of these things impact the development and use of the resource just like removing 25 ft dead timber located 6 inches below the surface rendering 37,000 acres of a lake dangerous at speeds greater than idle.
    The allure of the Santee Cooper lakes is knowing that lurking underneath the water are 1000's of trees ready to rip your lower unit off. You just have to respect it and go slow.

Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

If it can be done without costing the taxpayers.....it should be.

From Harry's to Randolph's is normally a safe ride. It was a mine field in November after the storms. The barge removed logs for weeks. It's finally safe.....until the next big wind event.

The problem for these self proclaimed navigation experts is......these vertical logs drift into the channels all the time. There is one right now between Nelson's and the Red Banks. Two weeks ago there were two in the channel markers crossing over to the brickyard.

Again....no taxpayers funding, cut the stumps, and ban pontoons.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    If it can be done without costing the taxpayers.....it should be.

From Harry's to Randolph's is normally a safe ride. It was a mine field in November after the storms. The barge removed logs for weeks. It's finally safe.....until the next big wind event.

The problem for these self proclaimed navigation experts is......these vertical logs drift into the channels all the time. There is one right now between Nelson's and the Red Banks. Two weeks ago there were two in the channel markers crossing over to the brickyard.

Again....no taxpayers funding, cut the stumps, and ban pontoons.

The next time there is a big storm, it will be the same. And the vast majority of it has nothing to do with the timber that y'all want cleared.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Let's look at it logically. How many people are killed on Murray every year vs. Marion? Last person on Marion I remember was killed in in a whisky vs channel marker incident...
    I've been looking for these statistics and they are not readily available. Plenty of DNR reports and CG reports that talk statistics has a whole for the state but none that I could find that breaks them down by body of water. I'm sure the data is available, you'd just have to call and get it.

The users of the lake deserve better.
    Help me understand this one DT? I just don't get it. The users "deserve better"....says who? Entitlement much?

You could use the stumps to make fat lighter, than use money you make for its sale to payoff the VC Summer debacle!!

I realize that we need electricity. Man made impoundments like Lake Marion, provide it for us. I am ALL for a sale of state owned Santee Cooper to a private power company, especially if it will relieve us of the 8 billion in debt that we find ourselves in.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    The next time there is a big storm, it will be the same. And the vast majority of it has nothing to do with the timber that y'all want cleared.
    Once again, you don't know what your talking about.

Bunn, what would you say is an "average" run in a bass boat from Randolph's to Pack's?

Again stupid shit. Let’s just drain it all and finish the job of logging and clearing the lake. This includes sparkleberry
    80-20 Genaration

I grew up on Lake Marion, and we still have a house that sits about 100 feet from the water. So, I am probably much more knowledgeable about the lake than you realize.
    Last edited by fuzzy; 02-17-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Auto correct and/or fat thumbs
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,

Thomas Jefferson

You can add Reeltight to that list.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Again stupid shit. Let’s just drain it all and finish the job of logging and clearing the lake. This includes sparkleberry
    Of course. We can't let the Beach Company benefit on one end of the lake and allow the Pack family to suffer the stumps on the other end...

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    And there it is.

Besides what’s wrong with having speed bumps in the middle of the lake? One could argue it makes the lake safer because you don’t have the crowds and people acting a fool like you do on Murray. Removing the stumps could make the lake more dangerous. And jumping out of the boat or falling while wake boarding onto one of those stumps that’s only 3ft below the water line when the lake is being let down could kill a guy.
    Yep, that's exactly what we need - more meddling in the name of safety and security imposed on use by the crown.

If you want safety, stay home, you stupid cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    You can add Reeltight to that list.
    Why? Because I think the cons out way the so called pros or because I don’t have a house on the lake
    Last edited by reeltight; 02-17-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Yep, that's exactly what we need - more meddling in the name of safety and security imposed on use by the crown.

You beat me to it.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Why? Because I think the cons out way the so called pros or because I don’t have a house on the lake
    Because anyone that doesn't agree with him is an ignorant fool. I don't know why the state doesn't just hire him to manage all of the state's resources.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

This is funny. People are arguing to clear the lake because the creeks are crowded and unsafe. I’m for doing nothing...not medaling for any reason.