Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of Lake Marion

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I’m not trying to be a jackass, but there isn’t a person alive that I need to follow around Marion or Moultrie.
    I thought you had backed out of the conversation. This is an open platform to state your case. What are the benefits you were so adimatley talking about 15 pages ago? So far DT came up with drinking and boating at night, fishing and fast boats. Do we cap the benefits there or are there more?
    Last edited by reeltight; 02-16-2019 at 09:04 AM.

So many benefits. So many.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flopduster View Post
    Ask for opinions...

Don’t like opinions he gets...

Goes looking somewhere else for opinions...

Politicians, smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To be fair, he didn’t ask for anyone’s opinion.
    He simply asked for photos to support his project, his mind was already made up.
    Scary to think how many projects probably get started without public opinion.

Solutions in search of problems...

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    You need a tri-fold board, or do you already have that covered?
    Maybe the funniest response in the thread was the first one....
    Last edited by welltaut; 02-16-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I thought you had backed out of the conversation. This is an open platform to state your case. What are the benefits you were so adimatley talking about 15 pages ago? So far DT came up with drinking and boating at night, fishing and fast boats. Do we cap the benefits there or are there more?
    1. Taw Caw, Potato Creek, and Wyboo are dangerously crowded. No way in hell I would ski, or tow my child on a tube.
    A large portion of users that have lake houses over there and utilize that section of the lake, would like to steer clear of all that hustle and bustle. But they can’t. Because as soon as they come out into the main lake they enter a mine field of stumps and trees. A vast area as far as the eye can see is virtually impassable.
    The benefit would be to use that area of wide open space for pleasure boating. Personally I would love to have that area open to pull kids around on tubes, or just be able to ride wide open up the lake.

2. The drawdowns on cut years would breath life back into the lakes. This is my main selling point.
    Drawdowns are extremely healthy for any aquatic environment. It sparks vegetative growth the following year, not to mention its pretty good hunting and fishing during those times.

If you paid attention, you’d notice the ones that are for it, are those that live here, or fish here on a regular basis.
    This isn’t a new idea by any means. Local people have been talking about this for as long as I’ve been alive.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    I have been in the boat probably 3 times when we knocked the motor clean off the boat. I have seen another 2 get knocked off. I saw a friend almost break his arm when his motor kicked up. I have bent, broken, and cracked motors and boats. I have had the boat jump completely out of the water hitting stumps I never saw. Me and thunderchicken got hung up on a stump for about 4 hours once. We almost tore the motor and the boat up trying to get it off. I know a guy that broke his leg when he hit one skiing. The bone come out of his skin. I have hit them so hard that I slid to the front of the boat before I even knew what had happened. I have all these stories and I would not even consider myself to be the guy that’s on the lake all the time. Screw a stump.
    Tell Thunderchicken to slow down, that would eliminate most of those issues.

1. Taw Caw, Potato Creek, and Wyboo are dangerously crowded. No way in hell I would ski, or tow my child on a tube.
    A large portion of users that have lake houses over there and utilize that section of the lake, would like to steer clear of all that hustle and bustle. But they can’t. Because as soon as they come out into the main lake they enter a mine field of stumps and trees. A vast area as far as the eye can see is virtually impassable.
    The benefit would be to use that area of wide open space for pleasure boating. Personally I would love to have that area open to pull kids around on tubes, or just be able to ride wide open up the lake.

2. The drawdowns on cut years would breath life back into the lakes. This is my main selling point.
    Drawdowns are extremely healthy for any aquatic environment. It sparks vegetative growth the following year, not to mention its pretty good hunting and fishing during those times.

If you paid attention, you’d notice the ones that are for it, are those that live here, or fish here on a regular basis.
    This isn’t a new idea by any means. Local people have been talking about this for as long as I’ve been alive.
    With the removal of the trees and during the drawndown should put something in the legislation that will allow planting of the shallow areas with benefical vegetation....... That would be a great idea!!!!
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

The only time I would consider Potato creek, Wyboo and Taw Caw dangerously crowded would be on Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor day weekends. Other than that it's not that crowded. Not everyone who has property on the lake is for this, some are just fine with the lake the way it is. If anything needs to be done just clear out some more channels and introduce some grass back into the flats.

Man, those places sound incredibly dangerous. Tons of deaths and serious injuries, especially of children,
    must occur annually. Where can I find the records of all of these accidents?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I've skied, tubed, wake boarded til I was blue in the face in all those areas my entire life. Nothing has changed. I would agree with Coastal Woodie that the Holidays* are the only time I don't want to be out on the water, and it has always been that way.

Throw out #1 and I think more folks will take this seriously.

I can get on board with #2 obviously, but I think Coastal Woodie is right again that more channels is a good idea. I'm not sold on cutting that entire section. Honestly going back to what I said to get away from...I'd wager that there would be more accidents and deaths if that was done. Drawdowns should be a part of a management plan for vegetation no doubt. Shouldn't require anything special like this to facilitate that, in my opinion.

Well I'm not for it and have lived on or around the lake the majority of my life. I've fished, run trot lines, hunted, tubed, skied, blah blah blah etc and I don't think it's a great idea to cut the trees. I'm all for drawdowns but don't see why it has to coincide with cutting the trees.

Again I'll say, I've never once heard a local person say "I sure wish they would cut the trees down". NEVER....until now.
    Last edited by lowcountryboiled; 02-16-2019 at 01:05 PM.

How long is this plan supposed to take? Great. You get a couple years of draw downs while they are cutting. Obviously take advantage. Duck hunters would do it on their own. What about the next 100 years?

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    I've skied, tubed, wake boarded til I was blue in the face in all those areas my entire life. Nothing has changed. I would agree with Coastal Woodie that the Holidays* are the only time I don't want to be out on the water, and it has always been that way.

Throw out #1 and I think more folks will take this seriously.

I can get on board with #2 obviously, but I think Coastal Woodie is right again that more channels is a good idea. I'm not sold on cutting that entire section. Honestly going back to what I said to get away from...I'd wager that there would be more accidents and deaths if that was done. Drawdowns should be a part of a management plan for vegetation no doubt. Shouldn't require anything special like this to facilitate that, in my opinion.

It has gotten a lot worse over there in the last 5 years.

To be honest I don’t care much either way. I want the every 3 year draw downs, but wouldn’t give it second thought whether it stands or gets cut.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

It has gotten a lot worse over there in the last 5 years.

To be honest I don’t care much either way. I want the every 3 year draw downs, but wouldn’t give it second thought whether it stands or gets cut.
    It looked to me like there was less people in Potato Creek and Wyboo last summer than I ever remember. I rarely venture over towards TawCaw. But I agree that I would like to see a draw down every few years to help with vegetation and I need some low water to extend the boat ramp another 10 feet or so.

Bold statement, previous posts considered.

It's interesting that the Bassmasters can come to the lake and run anywhere they want, but the inner tube towing residents can't. Do you want to know how the Bassmasters learned how to run the lake when they came back to Santee after a 20 year absence? They got the locals(mostly guides and Bass club anglers) to show them. They didn't even have GPS back then either.

I know I can run across the lake in at least 6 places without danger and all the way down both sides from 95 to the dam without incident. And as an answer to an earlier statement- yes you can run across the lake from Jacks Creek to the state park without hitting anything.

For the Jackass that wants to run on plane after dark while drinking- turn in your boat keys- while you are turning those in add your car keys to the pile because you obviously are a drunk driver.

Clearing out areas wouldn't east congestion. It would just fill up with more people.

Those stumps help keep the pressure down a little on the blues and stripers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk