Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Pics of Lake Marion

The majority of red, especially the dark red, is east of Columbia. I'm thinking those areas are experiencing stagnant or declining population growth because they are mostly rural areas that once relied heavily on agriculture and textiles/factories for jobs. Technology and the death of tobacco farming account for large number of jobs lost in agriculture. And it seems nearly every small town in that area of the state has a couple or more old factories that are no longer in use. A lot of the jobs are gone and that's why people are choosing to live elsewhere.

I think rural America is dying and it saddens me.
    Last edited by Tigerbdog; 02-13-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    This map lets you know why we all have differing opinions about growth.
    I get that a lot of SC isn't doing that great, but I don't think the government can do anything about that. It's hard to bring in industry to Florence, much less places like Johnsonville. I love those types of towns, but they just can't offer anything other than no traffic and lots of undeveloped land. There's absolutely no reason a company would locate anywhere outside of like 7 cities in SC. The government shouldn't be in the business of trying to revitalize the abandoned towns of SC (just like 4 laning Pamplico highway is a fat waste of money - ain't no amount of economic growth coming out of Pamplico, Johnsonville, Hemingway, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    The majority of red, especially the dark red, is east of Columbia. I'm thinking those areas are experiencing stagnant or declining population growth because they are mostly rural areas that once relied heavily on agriculture and textiles/factories for jobs. Technology and the death of tobacco farming account for large number of jobs lost in agriculture. And it seems nearly every small town in that area of the state has a couple or more old factories that are no longer in use. A lot of the jobs are gone and that's why people are choosing to live elsewhere.

I think rural America is dying and it saddens me.
    I agree that it is sad. The growth of working remotely from home will be the only way rural America will stay populated.

Each District had 37000 people in 2011. The average growth divided by 124 house members means each district needed to grow by 4000 residents. Dark red means they are 2000- to 4000 under the state average growth rate. Some districts have actually lost population.

The is only one district in Florence County the gained enough population to keep up with the average growth of the state. Mine lags behind by 1000. There is not another district in or touching Florence County that has any real growth.

After the census we will go through redistricting. We have to create districts with approx 41,000 people. When you have an area as red on the map as the Pee Dee you will lose a seat. They will pick it up and move your house district number to Horry County. Two reps will be combined into one district and one will lose the next election.

The point of the map is to show how unequal different regions are in respect to growth.

I also enjoy the outdoors and our resources are at risk. Conservation easements, land trusts, Heritage Trust property, DNR, parks, and forestry continue to be important stewards of our resources.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Why do regions have to be equal in growth? The regions aren’t equal nor do they offer the same benefits so why would expect or even try to make them grow equally.

I enjoy the regions without the people.

I mostly drive in those directions when I'm not at work to get away from the crowds to relax.

I live at the beach because I like saltwater and running offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Why do regions have to be equal in growth? The regions aren’t equal nor do they offer the same benefits so why would expect or even try to make them grow equally.
    Growth will never be equal. We have to equalize the population of our districts every 10 years.

Moultrie does not have the stumps. They are much closer to the urban sprawl.

Is that lake crowded "like Murray"?

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    We drive on plenty of employment opportunities every day.
    This is worth reading again for some of y'all....

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Growth will never be equal. We have to equalize the population of our districts every 10 years.

Moultrie does not have the stumps. They are much closer to the urban sprawl.

Is that lake crowded "like Murray"?
    Moultrie doesn't have stumps? are you serious shirley? That lake is a freakin mine field. I am a fan of economic development but that statement about Moultrie is like guam tipping over because of over populations
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Does each state have the same amount of population in the US senate? How about changing the way SC districts are drawn?

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

This is the reason I moved out of Greenville. We moved to a small town in NC and love it also there is a trout stream not far from the house.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Moultrie doesn't have stumps? are you serious shirley? That lake is a freakin mine field. I am a fan of economic development but that statement about Moultrie is like guam tipping over because of over populations
    If Moultrie is a mine field Lake Marion is the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea.

Come run stripers in Marion.

Again is Moiultrie crowded?

No stumps in Moultrie- let's go for a boat ride in your boat- I'll hit em until you beg me to quit

I can run TO anywhere I want to go in either lake wide open- it's when you get there that you gotta slow down and be careful.

Drive through the hatchery much?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

If Moultrie is a mine field Lake Marion is the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea.

Come run stripers in Marion.

Again is Moiultrie crowded?
    Too crowded for my liking, but only fishermen. Most non fishermen are scared to run on Moultrie because it is a motor wrecking machine. I have two lower units, a couple of skegs, a couple of soiled britches, and one hole in the bottom of a boat to show you if you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Drive through the hatchery much?
    If you talking to me- yep- plenty, there are places you can run wide open and you can run wide open TO the hatchery. You have to treat the lakes like the forest it once was- don't run through the trees- stay on the dirt roads.

If you really feel that way should we set obstacles in our lakes and rivers? ditches in our roads? breed mosquitoes on purpose? create a gnat that thrives in the winter? Tax yankees twice as much for owning property?

Why accept gradual growth when we can start getting rid of them?
    planting obstacles in the lakes and rivers would be fine but will need a permit for that
    Roads are dicked up enough with out ditching
    we ave plenty of mosquitoes and gnats throughout the winter in this part of the state
    absolutely tax the yankees more
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    Kinda shocked as well. I'm trying to connect the dots though. How does clearing trees equate to a better life for economically challenge folks living around the lake?
    Apparently when developer DuckTape builds around the lake us economically challenged folk can work for minimum wage cleaning rooms or busing tables.

If you follow this entire thread, which I would not recommend, I asked for pics. Y'all asked why. I told you why, navigation. Many responded they do not want them cleared because it would bring in more people. I other words they agreed it would be an improvement but they would rather not have more people using the lake.

In response I turned the argument around by arguing their point, that it would bring economic improvement to poor counties.

I represent Florence and Darlington. Many of my constituents have lake houses or frequent the lake for recreation.

This is not a new idea. I believe it is worth considering. There will be a group that proposes the plan. People will have a chance for input.
    Sir, the constituents you associate with have lakehouses. The majority of people in your district are "economically challenged" like the rest of us around the lake.