Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy Arrow Set-up

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I don't understand why you go to all that trouble to increase your arrow weight then screw a 100gr head on it.

I shoot 520gr arrows through my Switchback XT.
    Choice of broadheads narrows down when you start looking in the 200gr range. Brass inserts were easy to install and the collars add weight plus protection to the point of my arrow.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I don't understand why you go to all that trouble to increase your arrow weight then screw a 100gr head on it.

I shoot 520gr arrows through my Switchback XT.
    I'm just happy compound guys are now talking about heavy vs light as a good thing. "Don't go running at'em and waiving your arms. You'll spook'em off."
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    I'm just happy compound guys are now talking about heavy vs light as a good thing. "Don't go running at'em and waiving your arms. You'll spook'em off."
    Good point.

I'm just waiting till you can get them in TSS. Just screw in 750gr and boom, BBD.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Oh yeah, they won't even hear it coming!
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Figure I'll bring this thread back up since I've been changing up my arrow setup lately. They ended up weighing more than I thought they would but broadheads and bare shafts are flying great and rock the target at 75 yards.

29 inch 300 spine fmj
    3 blazers with 4 inch wrap
    75 grain brass insert
    25 grain iron will collar/footer
    125 grain head and nocturnal nocks

Total: 628 grains

I was shooting 262 fps at 62 pounds and 29 inch draw with 513 grain arrows during deer season. Now it's averaging 255 fps at 72 pounds with the 628 grain arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll get you total grain weight tomorrow, MM. Mine are kicking in the upper 500's.

CX Heritage @ 12 gpi, nockturnals, three 5" feathers, standard inserts and 175 grain heads.

That's the exit you see. Broken piece of the arrow showing direction of travel. She wasn't a little pig.

Attachment 43642
    Tigershark Alert

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Also this.

Melting Yukon Ice Reveals 1,000-Year Old Copper Hunting Arrowhead

Government of Yukon

A rare copper arrowhead was discovered in the melting Yukon ice.

Archeologists claim that it was pure luck that led them to find one of the earliest examples of copper metallurgy ever discovered in the Yukon.

The point and attached arrow shaft found in melting ice are nearly 1,000-years old, making it one of the earliest examples of bow and arrow technology in the Yukon, Canada, and North American history.

Archeologist Christian Thomas and his team were flying in two helicopters with a documentary film crew near Carcross, Yukon. They were showing the film crew areas where they had been finding ancient hunting artifacts over the last couple of decades.

The team saw some caribou on the mountainside and decided to film them. The archeologists landed their helicopter in order to get it out of a film shot by the documentary crew. Upon landing, Thomas quickly spotted the barbed antler arrow shaft sticking out of the ice.

Fellow archeologist Greg Hare recounted the discovery:

"It was found near the top of a snow-capped mountain in South West Yukon. It was an incredible discovery, we really didn't intend to be on that ice patch on that day."

"It was so fortuitous that those caribou were on that patch, that the television crew wanted to film that, that we landed at this little scruffy patch," said Hare. "We would have never have stopped there any other time because that ice patch melted right away."

"While we were there we thought we would look around and within five minutes Chris found this massive barbed antler point sticking out of the ice patch."

The arrow fragment, including the barbed antler shaft and copper hunting arrow point, is around eleven inches long. Hare indicated that it is one of the earliest examples of bow and arrow technology ever found in the Yukon. Radiocarbon dating puts the arrow at 936 years old.

Yukon
    Government of Yukon

"The advantage of the ice patch project is that most of what we're finding has an organic element that lets us radiocarbon date it," Hare said. "We will never find things like this in a lowland setting. The arrow is only preserved because it has been locked in the ice for basically 1,000 years."

The mountain area was a prime hunting spot for early hunters, as the caribou would climb to higher altitudes to escape the swarms of insects in the lowlands. Hunters would stalk these high patches and ambush to ambush the animals.

Archeologists have found around 250 different artifacts from First Nations hunters in the Southern Yukon region, including atlatl or throwing darts.

"The significant part of the story is that the arrowhead is so old, and it is such a beautiful expression of copper metallurgy," Hare said. "Copper only first shows up in the Yukon about a thousand years ago and this is almost at the beginning of that technology."

"Most people when they think of First Nation hunters, they associate with bow and arrow hunting. But in fact, for almost 8,000 years First Nation hunters in the Yukon were using the throwing darts, the Atliatli."

"Then all of a sudden there was quite a sharp change in the technology, for whatever reason. People stopped using the throwing dart and they started using bow and arrow."

Archeologists believe that it would have taken a hunter around two weeks to craft the copper arrowhead, so its loss would have been keenly felt by its owner.

"... my question at the time we found it was, how long did that person spend looking for it, after they lost it," reflected Hare. "I think they would have looked for two weeks."
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 04-02-2019 at 02:40 PM.

That's very cool CD
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14