Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Arrow Set-up

Default Heavy Arrow Set-up

Figured I'd start a new thread to talk about heavier arrows.

My current setup:
    28.25" Easton FMJ 5mm, 300 spine
    75gr brass insert
    25gr iron will collar
    100gr point weight
    3- blazer vanes

Arrow weight comes out to 561 on average over 1/2 dozen arrows.

Shooting a Mathews Halon 32-6 at 29.5' draw, 70lbs limbs maxed out (probably around 72-73lbs)

Shot through a chrono this morning and got an average speed of 260fps after 3 arrows.

Very happy with arrow flight and pin gaps out to 60 yards.

Interested to hear about your heavy arrow set ups, what speeds, FOC, pin gaps, success, etc.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

That'll kill a wooly mammoth
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

That’s strong as cat pee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Compound Arrow setup:

12gpi Easton 5mm fmj 300 spine 29 inches
    75 gr brass insert
    3 blazers, 4 inch wrap
    125 gr Magnus Black Hornet ser razors
    Total Arrow weight: 572 grains

Recurve Setup:

Gold Tip traditional 400 spine, 10.3 gpi, 29 inches
    100 grain brass insert
    3 5" feathers
    150 gr Magnus buzzcut
    Total Arrow Weight: approx. 570 grains

What recurve are you shooting Coastal?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Just an inexpensive 50# bear grizzly. I picked it up around November to see how I liked shooting one. Ended up cutting hair off a a nervous doe in December. I hope to shoot a couple does with it this coming season.

I've been toying with the idea of shooting one. Just can't ever seem to get my wallet and mind in the same place at the same time.

I've tossed around the idea of getting one for a couple of years before I bit the bullet and ordered one. Now I wish I would have done it sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Figured I'd start a new thread to talk about heavier arrows.

My current setup:
    28.25" Easton FMJ 5mm, 300 spine
    75gr brass insert
    25gr iron will collar
    100gr point weight
    3- blazer vanes

Arrow weight comes out to 561 on average over 1/2 dozen arrows.

Shooting a Mathews Halon 32-6 at 29.5' draw, 70lbs limbs maxed out (probably around 72-73lbs)

Shot through a chrono this morning and got an average speed of 260fps after 3 arrows.

Very happy with arrow flight and pin gaps out to 60 yards.

Interested to hear about your heavy arrow set ups, what speeds, FOC, pin gaps, success, etc.
    Just think if you put a rage on the front of that fully loaded 200 car double engine train. Like throwing a maul axe 30 ton rapid fire log splitter through a deer. If I shot an arrow like that out of my old 60# switchbacks it might get there tomorrow sometime. 270fps with 395gr.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I'll get you total grain weight tomorrow, MM. Mine are kicking in the upper 500's.

CX Heritage @ 12 gpi, nockturnals, three 5" feathers, standard inserts and 175 grain heads.

That's the exit you see. Broken piece of the arrow showing direction of travel. She wasn't a little pig.

IMG_5647.jpg

On my elk hunt this fall I was shooting an Obsession Turmoil RZ at 59lbs and change with a 475gr all in Victory VAP with a 2 blade 125gr Stinger/Stinger Buzzcut. I think they were smoking along at 238-240fps. It did shoot clean through the rib cage of a spike bull elk at 55yards.

Currently shooting a Mathews z3 with only a 450gr all in Gold Tip Hunter XT. It’s about the same speed. When I get moved home and am only shooting 30 yards and in, I’ll more than likely push my weight over 500.

I’d really like a new bow too. Since I only shoot 60 lbs, I’d like a new speed bow. I’ve shot the Bowtech Sr6 and the Mathews TX-5 and really like them both. The Mathews more so than the Bowtech. But I’d take either in a heartbeat. That TX-5 is probably the smoothest, quietest, and most shock/vibration free bow I’ve ever shot.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Just think if you put a rage on the front of that fully loaded 200 car double engine train. Like throwing a maul axe 30 ton rapid fire log splitter through a deer. If I shot an arrow like that out of my old 60# switchbacks it might get there tomorrow sometime. 270fps with 395gr.
    That switchback will be plenty fast enough with a 500 grain arrow. I shot my old Mission Endeavor (Mathews DXT clone) today with a 29 inch draw, 63 pounds and 496 grain arrow. It was no speed demon but it was plenty fast enough for deer hunting around here. If I had to guess it was around 250fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    That switchback will be plenty fast enough with a 500 grain arrow. I shot my old Mission Endeavor (Mathews DXT clone) today with a 29 inch draw, 63 pounds and 496 grain arrow. It was no speed demon but it was plenty fast enough for deer hunting around here. If I had to guess it was around 250fps.
    I’m going to say you’re over-estimating that by about 20 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    I’m going to say you’re over-estimating that by about 20 FPS.

Could be, its difficult to visually gauge the speed since I don't have a chronograph. But it doesn't appear to be much slower than my prime shooting a 575 grain arrow. Either way it shouldn't make much a difference on your average sub 30 yard shot on a whitetail in my opinion. Not to mention the bow is much quieter.

30" Gold Tip Traditional 500, 50 gr brass insert, 3 5" feathers, 145 Woodsman or 125 Muzzy out of a 48lb ILF recurve.
    485 grains.
    Last edited by FLS; 02-15-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Not criticizing heavy arrows. Fine with my set up on SC deer. Any problem with my bow is the fellow shooting it.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll get you total grain weight tomorrow, MM. Mine are kicking in the upper 500's.

CX Heritage @ 12 gpi, nockturnals, three 5" feathers, standard inserts and 175 grain heads.

That's the exit you see. Broken piece of the arrow showing direction of travel. She wasn't a little pig.

IMG_5647.jpg
    50gr more and you would have saved the arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Either way it shouldn't make much a difference on your average sub 30 yard shot on a whitetail in my opinion. Not to mention the bow is much quieter.
    Exactly. The quiet part is overlooked by a lot of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Exactly. The quiet part is overlooked by a lot of folks.

Indeed

I don't understand why you go to all that trouble to increase your arrow weight then screw a 100gr head on it.

I shoot 520gr arrows through my Switchback XT.