Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Female Viper Demo (F-16’s) Relieved of Command After Two Weeks

Default First Female Viper Demo (F-16’s) Relieved of Command After Two Weeks

The rest of the story will come out and I do not like to trade on people at the worst times of their lives. The big thing that came to my mind is how big of a “mistake” must have been made for what was one of the best public relations stories of the year to have been relieved of command? It would seem that it must have been performance related versus poor judgement on the ground. Maybe someone on here could shed some light. The Viper team, based out of Shaw, does not do the formation flying of the Thunderbirds but more like demos by manufacturers at aircraft sales shows. Any thoughts? Or insights? MG

https://www.foxnews.com/us/first-fem...er-2-weeks.amp

First female Viper demo team pilot removed from position after 2 weeks

The first female pilot to head the Air Combat Command F-16 Viper demonstration team was relieved of command Monday due to a “loss of confidence” in her ability to lead, the Air Force said.

Capt. Zoe Kotnik was removed from her position after two weeks, Col. Derek O’Malley, the 20th Fighter Wing commander, said in a statement.

“I removed Capt. Kotnik from her position as the commander of the Viper Demo team [Monday], because I lost confidence in her ability to lead the team.” O’Malley said. “I know that loss of confidence is a common response from the Air Force, whenever someone is removed from a command position, and I think it’s important to understand why we take this approach.”

O’Malley alluded to Kotnik making mistakes but did not further elaborate on exactly what led to her being relieved of her duties. He said he hoped Kotnik will continue to serve the Air Force despite the incident.

Continue Reading Below

“As good people, like Capt. Kotnik make mistakes, I want them to have the opportunity to learn from them without being under public scrutiny, and to continue to be a part of this great service. They’ll be better for the experience, and in turn, we’ll be better as an Air Force,” he said. “In these types of situations, I never forget that we’re dealing with real human beings, that I care deeply about, and that we are charged to take care of. This will be a difficult time for Capt. Kotnik, but she’s surrounded by wingmen that will help her every step of the way."
    Dum Spiro Spero

High Stress Job. I would fly with Her.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Meh, sometimes these are best left alone. Hopefully she can get her stuff straight and continue flying.

One thing that struck me as odd is that she held that position as a Capt. Seems like something that high profile that would be a Major and above type gig. But I'm just an enlisted aircraft maintainer... what do I know.
    Last edited by willyworm; 02-12-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

2 weeks.....she made a really, really bad decision about something. But then again it’s the Air Force, maybe her socks didn’t match. Either way, sounds like getting fired in the Air Force isn’t the career death sentence that it is in the Navy.

I remember Shawna Robinson getting black-flagged at Darlington. Car not wrecked, no mechanical problems, just driving too slow.

Cougar lost his edge too. Couldn't stop thinking about his wife and son. In that case it worked out good for everyone (except goose)

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    2 weeks.....she made a really, really bad decision about something.
    Yup.

Maybe she went in to get her flight physical without underwear on. Apparently the medical staff frowns on that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Default First Female Viper Demo (F-16’s) Relieved of Command After Two Weeks

I would assume gross incompetence. Firing an officer isn’t an easy thing to do....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by led0321; 02-13-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Cougar lost his edge too. Couldn't stop thinking about his wife and son. In that case it worked out good for everyone (except goose)
    He was holding on to tight!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    On that one, I heard Maverick was letting his ego write checks his ass couldn’t cash. Or was it he was flying against his fathers ghost? Either way Goose is dead and Meg Ryan needs a man. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

NELZHC2AHFHCHEPN27FGPWNFZM.JPG

Gee. I wonder what could've happened...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Jetwash killed goose. Allegedly. Maverick was cleared to fly again. Convenient how maverick was able to pull out of the spin when Trevette was in the cockpit with him.

Sexism. Sickening. If Chappy hadn't have bought it, I bet that they would have pinned a medal on him.

Doug Masters and Chappy could outfly Maverick and Goose, likely homos, anyday.

As for the hot F-16 captain pictured above, it could be something as simple as her getting a DUI. Very little room for error in a high-profile position like that.

She probably left her wingman. You never leave your wingman.

She will probably be flying a cargo plane out of Hong Kong filled with rubber dog shit by tomorrow. Maverick's family's name ain't the best in the Navy, so it was a surprise he came back to be an instructor at Top Gun- god help us.

She couldn't find her way back because of a lack of imprinting because of all the short stopping that was created to hold them longer.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Some of you are clearly on the highway to the danger zone.

Hold the phone... you capitalize Top Gun, but not 'God?'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    NELZHC2AHFHCHEPN27FGPWNFZM.JPG

Gee. I wonder what could've happened...
    She was inverted?