Thread: Adze?

Default Adze?

A question for the woodworkers. Can anyone recommend a readily available adze that would be suitable for making bowls amd trays?

There seems to be a shortage in general and I’m not quite ready to drop the cash for a high-end artisan forged model. Everything I see online has mixed reviews.

Wanted a Gransfors Bruks since I like their hatchets but they aren’t easily found.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by billyjack; 02-12-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Damn! I looked online to see what they cost and could hardy believe it. I have an old one my father found and re-handled. I'll take better care of it from now on.

I think if I were to start making bowls, I'd go with a 4.5" angle grinder with a chain-saw toothed wheel. Folks that make the totem poles and "rustic" sculptures often use them and they look like wood eating machines.

I needed a manual planer a few years ago and I might as well have been trying to buy Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I needed a manual planer a few years ago and I might as well have been trying to buy Bigfoot
    I've wanted to buy Bigfoot since I was a kid. However Gravedigger was cool too.

https://woodworker.com/search.html?s...e&searchmode=2

These are about as cheap as you’ll find. You get what you pay for though. Cheaper than a hollowing gouge for a lathe.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post

Had a person relieve me of a set of Bench Dogs some years ago. That crackhead probably sold them for $50 or less, I had over $2000 in them. Good ones aren’t cheap, never have replaced them.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013