Thread: 1911 Help

Default 1911 Help

I had a gunsmith in the NE Columbia do some cerakoting to my Sig 1911 and needless to say the workmanship was awful. The gun seems to have too much coating causing the slide to cycle slowly and more or less hang up as it feels too tight. I ordered new springs and did a couple things I thought would help but to no avail. I am ready for somebody to fix it right. Any suggestions or help being pointed to the man?
    "run and gun guide service"

Keep shooting it until it wears itself in maybe
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Just sand off the coating where it's rubbing.

Amick’s in Gaston.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I just had a springer XD cerakoted. He sprayed a tad bit heavy inside the magwell to where the magazine would only fit if it really forced it. I just took some 220 grit sandpaper on a scrap piece of wood and gently worked the finish until the magazine fit smoothly. Maybe a polishing stone on the rail may do the trick for you.

Is it cycling ok when you shoot it? If so, break it in, if not then
    what everyone else said about sanding or polishing just make sure you use really fine grit.
    I would probably wet sand the slide channel with a good oil and 1000 grit, then 1500 then 2000, trying not to remove any metal.
    I hope he didn't drop the slide or warp it in any way, then you screwed.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 02-08-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Very common issue, especially with 1911’s. Either put some gun grease on the rails and wear it in or sand it down. Only other way is to blast it and re-cerekote it (and not spray it too thick).

We sometimes use a small file set that fits in the rails, Steel wool will work well also.

You need to take apart and run the slide on the rail with Clover 600 or 800 grit or JB polish until the cerekote is polished off. You can also used toothpaste as it is abrasive. You just want to get it back to normal, take to much and then the rails will need to be worked on.

I would coat the rails with dykem blue and run the side 1st to see where high spots are, the blue will come off the high spots.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    You need to take apart and run the slide on the rail with Clover 600 or 800 grit or JB polish until the cerekote is polished off. You can also used toothpaste as it is abrasive. You just want to get it back to normal, take to much and then the rails will need to be worked on.
    Valve grinding compound would work well for this.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Valve grinding compound would work well for this.
    Great point, didn't think of that, I would get it pretty fine grade if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Amick’s in Gaston.
    This
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.