Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ducks Unlimited vs Flyway Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Just ice eaters or Wells too?
    Both. Those are artificial means of keeping water open and attempting to keep ducks from migrating naturally.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Both. Those are artificial means of keeping water open and attempting to keep ducks from migrating naturally.
    I agree with you.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by flopduster View Post
    Do you believe the 900 impoundments around lake matamaskeet keep birds from migrating to SC? Food sources never run out and they have no reason to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh it runs out, and they will leave. See my earlier post.

How is the Flyway Foundation helping the Mississippi Flyway?

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I
    If through a legal loop hole and modern technology, private properties are withholding a public resource (waterfowl) from continued migration into other parts of the country, there is a problem.

I think what a lot of folks are saying is that it is not withholding waterfowl from continued migration... there's not enough "fake food" there to stop a whole migration, there's not enough man-made open water there to stop a migration. It is a lot of other factors.

How many ducks need to hold in MO and KA, before it’s considered holding a migration?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cat III View Post
    How is the Flyway Foundation helping the Mississippi Flyway?
    this is not about the flyway foundation but I'd be happy to answer your question elsewhere.

this is about a new(ish) group called the flyway federation.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

How many ducks need to hold in MO and KS, before it’s considered holding a migration?
    i'd be ok with just stopping the feeding and water-opening after their season closes.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

How many ducks need to hold in MO and KA, before it’s considered holding a migration?
    I'll work on some data for that. But in my mind, it is the cause of the hold that is more the question...

Understand

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i'd be ok with just stopping the feeding and water-opening after their season closes.
    Anti Imprintationist...

So per the doctrine of the Flyway Federation we are going to shutdown all the Cat 1 WMA’s for social fairness?

Quote Originally Posted by cat III View Post
    So per the doctrine of the Flyway Federation we are going to shutdown all the Cat 1 WMA’s for social fairness?
    Yep. They believe that somewhere along the line the Migratory Bird Treaty Act was "amended" to "legalize" baiting, they would consider our CAT 1's in SC legally "baited". I guess our green tree reservoirs (as well as Arkansas's) would be illegal too since water is "manipulated".

Folks need to digest the total harvest numbers for La and AR....who are both really, really butt hurt after this past season.

Louisiana 2016 - 857,000±20%, 2017 - 1,083,900±18%
    Arkansas 2016 - 1,139,600±13%, 2017 - 1,006,700±11%

I am throwing Missouri in here for comparison as they are supposedly "short stopping" all the ducks.

Missouri 2016 - 452,400±32%, 2017 - 484,100±18%

Here is South Carolina's harvest: We REALLY should be the one's who are pissed......and we have corn ponds! LOL

SC - 2016- 149,300±20%, 2017 - 189,100±36%

For reference: https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/p...and2017-18.pdf
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

This thread has gotten G-heyer than Freddy Mercury!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

That is a GREAT read!

Most on this site never experienced the 3 / 30 days or the 1 goose season in SC. I'd be lying if I didn't say I enjoyed the 10 pt / bird and lead shot days as a kid tho.

Hot cropping = OK

Hot cropping + natural foods= Better

Hot cropping + natural foods + sanctuary = Best

Ducks would be in a bad way if it wasn't for the above 3 in combination. Due to massive loss of high quality food habitat, logic would say, that without such activity, the condition of the returning and breeding females reproductive system would be degraded and thus recruitment would suffer.

Artificial prevention of icing over no doubt = decrease in wintering waterfowl index for southern states. Bad for hunters, good for ducks.

In all honesty , if we held our agencies in charge of managing such habitats to the standards of which they should be operating, the entire equation would produce more and better as to both duck reproductivity and hunter success.
    Last edited by Strick9; 02-14-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    Genesis 9;2