Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SC Senate Bill 477

Default SC Senate Bill 477

I caught wind of this today...Can’t believe it hasn’t made the headlines on here yet!

South Carolina General Assembly
    123rd Session, 2019-2020
    Download This Version in Microsoft Word format

Bill 477

Indicates Matter Stricken
    Indicates New Matter
    (Text matches printed bills. Document has been reformatted to meet World Wide Web specifications.)
    A BILL

TO AMEND CHAPTER 11, TITLE 50 OF THE 1976 CODE, RELATING TO THE PROTECTION OF GAME, BY ADDING ARTICLE 14, TO PROVIDE FOR THE PERMITTING OF REGULATED SHOOTING AREAS FOR MALLARDS, TO PROVIDE THAT CAPTIVE-RAISED MALLARDS THAT ARE REARED AND RELEASED ON THE PROPERTY DESIGNATED AS A REGULATED SHOOTING AREA FOR MALLARDS MAY ONLY BE HUNTED DURING THE OPEN SEASON FOR MALLARDS, TO PROVIDE MARKING REQUIREMENTS FOR CAPTIVE-RAISED MALLARDS, TO PROVIDE THAT CAPTIVE-RAISED MALLARDS MAY BE TAKEN BY SHOOTING ON PERMITTED REGULATED SHOOTING AREAS FOR MALLARDS WITHOUT REGARD FOR BAG OR POSSESSION LIMITS AND TO PROVIDE EXCEPTIONS, TO REQUIRE CERTAIN LICENSES FOR HUNTING ON A REGULATED SHOOTING AREA FOR MALLARDS, TO PROVIDE THAT A PERMITTEE SHALL MAKE AN ANNUAL REPORT OF OPERATIONS, AND TO PROVIDE PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS OF PERMITTING AND MARKING REQUIREMENTS.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Chapter 11, Title 50 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"ARTICLE 14
    Regulated Shooting Areas for Mallards
    Section 50-11-2700. (A) The department may issue permits for regulated shooting areas for mallards that are privately owned and operated under the terms and conditions of this article. A person or entity must apply for a permit by October fifteenth of each year using a form provided by the department to include any information the department deems necessary.

(B) A permit for a regulated shooting area for mallards issued by the department shall be valid each year for the annual waterfowl season as established by 50 C.F.R. Part 20 and Section 50-11-10. The permit is valid for the established open season for mallards only.

(C) The annual fee for obtaining the permit for a regulated shooting area for mallards is two hundred dollars; however, a shooting preserve licensed pursuant to Article 7, Chapter 11, Title 50 is not required to pay the additional two hundred dollar fee.

(D) A person who has been convicted of a violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act pursuant to 50 C.F.R. Part 20 and Section 50-11-10 will not be eligible to receive a permit for a regulated shooting area for mallards for the permit year following the date of his conviction.

Section 50-11-2705. No person or entity may release mallards for the purpose of hunting unless he has obtained a permit for a regulated shooting area for mallards pursuant to this article, except for bona fide dog training or field trial purposes pursuant to 50 C.F.R. Part 21.

Section 50-11-2710. (A) Captive-raised mallards that are reared and released on the property designated as a regulated shooting area for mallards may only be hunted during the open season for mallards established pursuant to 50 C.F.R. Part 20 and Section 50-11-10.

(B) In addition to marking requirements required pursuant to 50 C.F.R. Part 21, captive-raised mallards released on property designated as a regulated shooting area for mallards must be tagged with a metal leg band that contains the name of the regulated shooting area and any other information as required by the department.

(C) Hunting hours on regulated shooting areas for mallards shall conform to hunting hours established pursuant to 50 C.F.R. Part 20 and Section 50-11-10.

(D) The daily bag limit for wild mallards taken by shooting on permitted regulated shooting areas for mallards is the same bag limit established for mallards by 50 C.F.R. Part 20 and Section 50-11-10. Subject to this bag limit for wild mallards, the total bag limit for mallards taken by shooting on permitted regulated shooting areas for mallards is four.

(E) Except for the total mallard bag limit, the taking of mallards on permitted regulated shooting areas is governed by federal regulations, pursuant to 50 C.F.R. Part 20, and Section 50-11-10.

Section 50-11-2715. (A) An individual may hunt on a regulated shooting area for mallards only while in possession of a valid:

(1) South Carolina resident or nonresident hunting license;

(2) South Carolina migratory bird permit;

(3) South Carolina migratory waterfowl permit; and

(4) federal migratory bird hunting and conservation stamp.

Section 50-11-2720. (A) The permittee shall make an annual report of operations by March first of each year on forms provided by the department. The report shall include:

(1) the number of captive-raised mallards released and killed on the regulated shooting area for mallards;

(2) any outbreaks of avian influenza or other diseases in the captive-raised mallards raised, released, or taken on the regulated shooting area; and

(3) any other information the department deems necessary.

(B) The department shall not renew a permit for a regulated shooting area for mallards unless the report required under this section has been filed by March first and the annual fee has been paid.

Section 50-11-2725. A person violating Section 50-11-2705 or 50-11-2710(B) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be punished by a fine of two hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than thirty days for each offense. In addition, he shall forfeit his permit for the remainder of the current permit year and may be ineligible to hold a permit for the following permit year."

SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

----XX----
    This web page was last updated on February 5, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So tamie operations aren’t affected if they pay the $200 fee. Is that how I’m reading this?
    Go Tigers!!!

Default SC Senate Bill 477

D) The daily bag limit for wild mallards taken by shooting on permitted regulated shooting areas for mallards is the same bag limit established for mallards by 50 C.F.R. Part 20 and Section 50-11-10. Subject to this bag limit for wild mallards, the total bag limit for mallards taken by shooting on permitted regulated shooting areas for mallards is four.

What I gather from this is that due to the new 2 mallard harvest limit for the upcoming Atlantic flyway 2019-2020 season...The tamie ponds are pushing for the ok to shoot 4 tamies in addition to your standard limit.

EDIT: Or it looks like 4 total...only 2 of which can be wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 02-06-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Horse shit. Duck tape get on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

fd up

I don't know if they amended the bill nut I heard there would be no limit on tamies.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Just assume a dozen or so wild mallards are dumb enough for o take up residence at one of these permitted areas, and they all get murdered by one “Hunter” what happens then?

Also, the mallard limit is federal law, and regardless of what happens with this bill, I would think that federal preemption of contrary state law could/would apply

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I don't know if they amended the bill nut I heard there would be no limit on tamies.
    I thought you were "they".

I don’t read it as a $200 permit and unlimited marked birds. Staying outside of this debate, but the fact that EVERYTHING is taxed or has a fee attached really chaps my hide.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

This bill was introduced by SCWA so they could keep all of their clientele next year when the limits change.

i thought you were the clientele?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by easyridingwo View Post
    This bill was introduced by SCWA so they could keep all of their clientele next year when the limits change.
    Exactly and it's the total horse shit. Fuck that. Fuck them.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

its so very interesting that this type of bill could get past this crowd. politics is grotesque.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Any chance you can jump on this and try to get this practice done and over with?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Sponsors:

Senator Scott Talley

Republican - Spartanburg

District 12 - Greenville & Spartanburg Counties
    - Map

Columbia Address
    612 Gressette Bldg.
    Columbia 29201

Business Phone (803) 212-6048

Home Address
    134 Oakland Ave.
    Spartanburg 29302

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/member....0695&chamber=S

and

Senator Michael W. Gambrell
    Republican - Anderson

District 4 - Abbeville, Anderson & Greenwood Counties

Columbia Address
    610 Gressette
    Columbia 29202

Business Phone (803) 212-6040

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/member....7197&chamber=S
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Sponsors:

Senator Scott Talley

Republican - Spartanburg

District 12 - Greenville & Spartanburg Counties
    - Map

Columbia Address
    612 Gressette Bldg.
    Columbia 29201

Business Phone (803) 212-6048

Home Address
    134 Oakland Ave.
    Spartanburg 29302

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/member....0695&chamber=S

and

Senator Michael W. Gambrell
    Republican - Anderson

District 4 - Abbeville, Anderson & Greenwood Counties

Columbia Address
    610 Gressette
    Columbia 29202

Business Phone (803) 212-6040

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/member....7197&chamber=S
    Any chance we can find an email for these two guys...
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

i thought you were the clientele?
    I have been. Hope to get the chance to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by baydog View Post
    Just assume a dozen or so wild mallards are dumb enough for o take up residence at one of these permitted areas, and they all get murdered by one “Hunter” what happens then?

Also, the mallard limit is federal law, and regardless of what happens with this bill, I would think that federal preemption of contrary state law could/would apply

Every hunter would just have to take a handful of bands and some clippers into the blinds with them.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Every hunter would just have to take a handful of bands and some clippers into the blinds with them.
    I've got a bunch of old scwa bands I killed growing up. Good deal.

If you're surprised at all by this, then I don't know what to tell you.