Thread: Atv has draining oil !

Default Atv has draining oil !

I’ve got an older Kawi Bayou and I’ve never had an issue before but.. I just noticed a ton of oil that looks to have sprayed out.. anyone here good with this stuff, maybe give me a few things to look at?
    I’ve attached two pictures, rear facing. It’s all over the did and the rear boot.
    ThanksF89BBF87-6216-4B76-878A-5FCEFD9E85F1.jpg24148A96-E23A-443A-BA07-B1FA48A91597.jpg
    Last edited by duckz; 02-04-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Clean it off and you will probably find where it’s coming from....
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

De-grease and wash it as stated.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Any patcular product to use to degrease it with? Will something like 409 be safe ?
    Last edited by duckz; 02-04-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Purple Power

AWSOME 1 dolla a spray bottle at the dollar tree,dolla general etc
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Output shaft bearing is probably wore out and had a little run-out in it which in turn ate up the oil seal.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmudder7071 View Post
    Output shaft bearing is probably wore out and had a little run-out in it which in turn ate up the oil seal.
    I'd agree with this. Get you a bucket, water hose, dawn dish soap, and a cheap dish brush from the dollar store. Clean then report back.

Don’t know what that is but I will clean it up over the weekend and see what’s what! Thanks for the starting point. The oil looks like it just exploded so I’ll try to clean and get a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmudder7071 View Post

Ok finally got a few minutes to check this out again.. the oil seems to be coming from the front end of that shaft boot which had caused some spray into the rear of the atv.

now let me throw this out there.. my engine oil reservoir is empty! I changed the oil last spring and used it all summer / hunting season without any issue. So it could not have been from the oil change.. could these issues be related ? I see no oil leak anywhere except that shaft boot area, which honestly might be so old it’s not even a recent leak.
    Last edited by duckz; 02-15-2019 at 09:13 PM.

My oil turns totally milk white. I change it.

That’s funny you mention that.. I went out this morning to turn over the engine and noticed that all the sudden I had some milky white oil show up in the oil peep hole. I had been in some deeper water so I’m assuming it got in there causing it to turn white, which is understandable. But.. A- not sure why it wasn’t there before, and then showed up when I turned over the engine? I’m assuming a leak.. B- would this cause any issue for the oil to be in the area that I put a picture up from?

No matter what I will be changing the oil
    Last edited by duckz; 02-16-2019 at 09:47 AM.

I typed a long response and somehow deleted it, so..short version:
    Change the oil. Ride it 30 minutes then change again.
    Forget the leak, top off as needed, it's free rust proofing.
    Keep an eye on oil level and color. If it turns white again you likely have a topside leak allowing rainwater in.

Ok I can do that. Is it important to change the filter twice too? It was probably because I was going in deep water some.

Now ever sense I brought the atv home from the farm last month, it has smelled terrible of gas. I took this picture below of the engine, any idea what happened here? It looks like fuel slung out the carb maybe? There is no spotting on the garage floor but I can smell the gas outside of the garage. Very strange. I ran the engine dry of gas and turned of the fuel line to run all gas out of the carb before letting it sit in the garage. I used this atv all around camp and even drive it up to my stand, so I know it just happened because I would have noticed it while hunting if it was leaking. I used some all purpose leaner on the block so hopefully that will help the spill, but doesn’t explain how it happened. You can see some spotting on the one pipe, on the left side of the block.

3EDB284B-43BF-492B-BC14-4689AB991D49.jpg
    Last edited by duckz; 02-16-2019 at 10:47 AM.

If you are going to run in deep water you need to replace and relocate all of the vent lines. The gas could be from a number of things. Do like you did before and clean it really good and track it down.