Thread: Bow Hunting Gator

Default Bow Hunting Gator

I got a bow last year with the intentions of using it for gator hunting. Anyone tried this? Good or bad? That's my plan anyway. We should end up with 3 tags this year.

No one has tried this. Better stop applying for tags.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

wait... Are you serious, Clark? by gator do you mean Alligator mississippiensis? and by hunting do you mean on public water or land not enrolled in the Private Lands Alligator Program? ... yes and yes? Might need to read up on the rules and regs...

They'll put out a new guide for 2019 but here is last year's... read up... http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/allig...gatorguide.pdf

If answers to questions above include a "no" then disregard...

bow hunting gator? Is that like a coon hunting monkey?

All perfectly legal in SC.

At multiple points during your gator hunt, while tied to him with your bow, you’ll think to yourself “this was stupid” and wish you had a big spinning rod with power pro 80 and a big treble.

You heard it hear first.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Bow will not be tied to gator. Why wouldn't we also have a spinning rod? Why would I tie my bow to the gator? That's not even legal. Arrow has to be attached to a bouy.

I used a crab pot float that slipped over a dowel that screwed into my stabilizer mounting hole. I attached the arrow with very heavy braid and wrapped the line around the float so the float acted like a bow reel. I little piece of tape kept the line in place until we shot.

you won't get close enough to a decent gator for a bow shot.. not without much effort anyways. spin rod and treble hook, then you can use your bow to attach a 2nd line. I used the AMS reel combo for my bow and landed a 7fter with ease. But bigger gators you need a detachable buoy like PB is talking about. Harpoon setup, using a 8-10ft wooden dowel rod is good too.

I've shot an 11'+ with a bow. You will need a big buoy and (I can not stress this next part enough) 600# gorilla wire braided line and a sharp arrow.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I vote for heavy spinning gear w weighted treble. Foul hook it. Use hand lines (or your bow I guess....) with heavy weighted trebles for snare lines to place additional foul hooks. Keep your lines straight, untangled, and dont get caught up in them. 5 gallon buckets seem to work for me as far as keeping line straight.
    For my hand lines I use paracord with large weighted treble hooks. I have a bang stick, and have never used it on a gator. .22 rifle is easier to control and you don’t actually have to hit/touch the gator with it. Hard skull/slick skin can allow bang stick to slip or deflect. Hog tie back legs, snare/wrap jaws tape mouth after dispatch. Sometimes you can snare jaws prior to dispatch. Have fun.....

You will probably do this one time and decide it sucks. I have zero interest in doing this anymore for recreation, but am not opposed to helping legally remove nuisance gators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not supposed to use a rifle.
    Yeah, I'll probably get one and be done with it. Maybe?