Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 130 2/8" - #5 in the books...

Default 130 2/8" - #5 in the books...

Bragging on Dad…he’ll be 81 in June. He and mom stay in the mountains during the summer and he has a 3 mile path that he walks that gains about 600 feet in altitude. He’s usually in pretty good shape by deer season but this summer something was bothering him and kept him from walking as much as normal.

This past deer season as the first time I really saw him “slow down” some. The nagging pain was getting worse but he still went a lot. We have a fellow club member, Yank, who is 86 and just had bypass surgery so really can’t even walk. Of course, Yank killed a deer in October when dad was the only one there so dad had to drag the deer out of a deep wash then load the deer, basically by himself. The processors were not taking deer because their freezers were full so dad took him home and cleaned and butchered the deer for Yank. He was whipped.

Even feeling bad he went every time I wanted to go and helped me load up a deer. The angels smiled and he shot an 8+ point that I had had on a trail camera. Luckily my giant nephew was with him to help drag the deer out and load him up…and take a photo…

Not long after the first of the year, just before duck season ended I got a call that dad was in the hospital getting his appendix and part of his intestines removed. ‘Turns out that nagging pain was his appendix and it had finally perforated. He spent one night in the hospital on an antibiotic drip and was home the next morning. The day after he got home he was walking the neighborhood and cutting wood. His color is healthy again and has zero pain – he’s already talking about getting out to the club and doing some work. Thank you Lord Jesus.

Dad had the deer scored yesterday – officially 130 2/8” – it’s in the books. He still doesn’t hunt over corn or fields or food plots. He just hunts deer in the woods where they live. He will cut some shooting lanes near favorite climbing trees, though. We’ve been members of this club for 30 years usually with 6 other guys. Half of the club are religious about corn and only hunt over their feeders. No one else in 30 years has killed a record book deer except for dad and this was his fifth - I don't think it's just happenstance. Tell #6 he's looking for him...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Way to go Pops!
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Killer, plain and simple. Congratulations to you Dad.

^^^ what he had said.

That's good stuff RH.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I wanna be like your dad when I grow up.. Good stuff!
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Very nice!

Excellent.

Awesome story. Hope he has many more years getting after them.

Fantastic stuff

Good deal. Looks similar to the deer visor guy posted a trail pic of in his home build thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Nice job. I believe that the 90/10 rule applies to deer hunting as well as many other things. 10% of hunters kill 90% of the big bucks.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by tjm84 View Post
    I wanna be like your dad when I grow up.. Good stuff!
    This.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

That’s great. Good to hear he is feeling better and recovered so quickly. His health and mentality at his age is something we can all strive for.

Well done Dad!
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Dang right. That's a dandy. Congrats to your Dad.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

That's awesome. Glad he is feeling better!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Good stuff RH!!

Two thumbs up!