Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Gun Dog...

Default Which Gun Dog...

to get for upland birds? Dove and quail here, pheasant, chukar and whatever else out west. Retrieving ducks would be nice too, but not a requirement.

German wirehair
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I’m fairly certain you can train any decent lab to hold his own against any pointer in a longleaf scrub.

Probably a Boykin as well.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

French Brittany, GSP, draht. And as with anything research the hell out of them and find a pup from parents you've seen in the field. Lots of junk out there. I'm really enjoying hunting this little dog now(French Brittany), hard hunting little fucker. Points, backs, retrieves on land and water, good in the house.

Shorthair, wirehair/DD, Pudelpointer would be my suggestion. French Brits and regular Brits seem to be good little dogs too.

Like this guy ^ said, research the lines. There is a ton of difference in a dog that runs field trials and a NAVHDA dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I’ve always had GSP’s, had good ones, had ones that were pets. They’re what you make them to be like anything else. Cora’s about 5.5mo now and is hell on wheels, points great and has retrieved to hand since I got her at 8wks, just natural instinct.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    How big is that little Brittany? I’ve got a smaller Boykin (19-21 lbs) and I don’t think she’ll be good on anything bigger than a wood duck. Hell on doves though.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

I've been looking at GSPs and French Brittany. My wife said she'll kill me if I get another dog, but she might change her mind when she sees a French Brittany pup.
    Last edited by wskinner; 02-05-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.Ducks View Post
    How big is that little Brittany? I’ve got a smaller Boykin (19-21 lbs) and I don’t think she’ll be good on anything bigger than a wood duck. Hell on doves though.
    31lbs lean during hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.Ducks View Post
    ...I’ve got a smaller Boykin (19-21 lbs) and I don’t think she’ll be good on anything bigger than a wood duck. Hell on doves though.
    I think your boykin will surprise you at its ability to pick up a mallard with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 02-05-2019 at 09:48 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I think your boykin will surprise you at its ability to pick up a mallard with no problems.

There's a litter,of Boykins coming soon, on here for sale now. Just saying
    Home Of :

HRCH HR SHR Sunstar's Gigi The Boss's Daughter MH

Sunstar's Lookout 4 Miz Azie
    Sunstar's The Pro-Zak Attack

WWW.sunstarsduckdogs.com

Haha, I just got a lab so I'm good on retrievers for now. But thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by willyworm; 02-08-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

DD are awesome but not for everyone . Our has a prey drive like no dog I've ever seen . She doesnt really like other dogs either .
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

llewellin setters are top notch.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelyeller View Post
    DD are awesome but not for everyone . Our has a prey drive like no dog I've ever seen . She doesnt really like other dogs either .
    This. I love mine to do death, he will hunt until he is about die. He does it all. But just like yours a dominant dog he does not tolerate, or strangers in the house. When the maintence man comes he stays right on him and wont let him near my wife or kids. Other than he is awesome. Ive hunted him doves in 80 degrees and pheasant and waterfowl in the negatives.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Better get one of those goat looking things what Big Brother's got. I hear they can smell pretty good and damn near impossible to kill.
    Last edited by Fish; 02-07-2019 at 05:42 PM.

And they're good babysitters er trouble makers

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

I wanted a GSP for a while but never pulled the trigger. I'm picking up a Braque Francais (French Pointer) in March. The breed originated in the bourbon region of France. They look exactly like a GSP but they weigh 20 pounds less and have a little less energy in the home. The common person would think it's a smaller GSP. They are a versatile breed as well. I've heard great things about GSPs. I hope the Braque's are just as good.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/braqu...cais-pyrenean/

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    I wanted a GSP for a while but never pulled the trigger. I'm picking up a Braque Francais (French Pointer) in March. The breed originated in the bourbon region of France. They look exactly like a GSP but they weigh 20 pounds less and have a little less energy in the home. The common person would think it's a smaller GSP. They are a versatile breed as well. I've heard great things about GSPs. I hope the Braque's are just as good.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/braqu...cais-pyrenean/
    I'm liking this