Thread: duck food- what to plant

Default duck food- what to plant

We have a 5 acre pond in Chesterfield Co. Maybe 15 miles from the PeeDee River. I would like to start SAVs for duck food... Sandy soil, clear water. Half of the pond is only knee deep. 6-8 foot near the dam. There is a riser system installed, very easy to drop the water. Not really ideal to plant with a tractor, too many stumps. We would also want to keep fish, no topwater plants preferably.

I am thinking celery, wigeon grass, vallisneria, or similar. I have zero experience with SAVs. Any recommendations? Online or local sources to purchase if you have any. I would like to get tubers in the ground ASAP, to germinate this Spring.
    Thanks

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 01-28-2019 at 12:13 PM.

You need to decide whether you want it to be a fish pond or a duck pond.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I would mix Val, southern naiad, and sago.

In most (if not all) cases of a healthy duck pond, it’s gonna be miserable to fish, but better for the wildlife.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    You need to decide whether you want it to be a fish pond or a duck pond.
    duck. however, I'm told fish do thrive with SAVs? I really just don't want thick mats of weeds... what would you try? my goal is to have some divers to shoot occasionally. puddle ducks would be great, if possible.

drain that biotch and plant some millet and corn... you can go fishing anywhere.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Drain it, bulldoze the stumps, level it, corn in deep water millet in shallow

Hard to have both. I would lower the pond and plant sorghum. Leave water in deep end and introduce sav in remaining water. Other question is water source? Rain fed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Drain it, bulldoze the stumps, level it, corn in deep water millet in shallow
    as much as I would like to, peepaw wants a place to fish with the grandkids... i'm working on a spot for corn this year too

and yes, rain fed. collects fast though

thanks for the ideas Bog
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 01-28-2019 at 02:24 PM.