Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it?

Default What is it?

About duck hunting that consumes us? It’s hard to make people understand that don’t do it. How many of you older guys have really slacked off and who is still after them hard?
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

This season really beat me down. A lot of driving, unproductive lease, too much water and early mornings with little success.

Still beats laying in a hospital dying

Tough season for sure!

I live vicariously through Duckman.

Duckman def still has the fire
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

This was the first season I didn't really put a lot of fight into it.. I killed some birds, we mostly rested our place, simply because I didnt see any numbers after the first season. I didnt hunt public which was really weird, nor trips.. I did kill some birds off of other private impoundments, no release birds. I'm cool with it, not complaining, some seasons can be down. I can't say that this would start a pattern or anything.

I went 3 times this year, and probably not much more than that last year. I pulled the trigger once, and killed 1 summerduck. Family medical issues and obligations have been a major obstacle the past 2 years. Although this year, I could have gone more, but just never had enough birds to justify shooting. Hopefully I'll have some birds start using my spots by next weekend, so I can take my girls. If not, it is what it is.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Terrible year here for us. Didn’t see numbers after the first season, we hunted less, I know the rains hurt us bad for wood ducks. Either way, our crops will change next year and we’ll see what happens. I killed two ducks in January and hunted 5 times this month. I won’t stop hunting, I might stop hunting as much.
    Go Tigers!!!

My second daughter came at the end of September so I knew it was going to be a quiet year but dang I didn’t know it would be this quiet. A couple decent wood duck shoots the first season and a cut short OOS trip due to a death pretty much clinched the season for me. Went twice last weekend and never even picked the gun up. As sad as I am to see a season go, I am looking forward to next year.
    cut\'em

I go every day I’m off work plus a few more. I go sometimes, even if I really don’t want to, because I have to.
    867-5309

I’ve been slowing down the last few years. I try to go when I feel like it’s going to be productive and not when I’m gonna stare at a blank sky all morning. I only got skunked twice which included one of my two public water hunts. We kept pressure down on our private spots and kept a few birds around all season. I’m looking forward to a couple of projects planned for our farm to hopefully do even better in the future. Definitely don’t have any complaints other than having to wait til November to go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep, have to period. Not saying how many hunts or birds as I am supposed to have a job and a company The two numbers wouldn't sit will with the board. They are already demanding two meals a day.
    Last edited by Strick9; 01-28-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    Genesis 9;2

The Old Man is in his late 70's now. Even when it hurts, if there is a chance of getting them, he is in. Seeing him laying on the ground, in sparse cover, in the snow this year because that was the only way it was going to get done was really something...

Summer ducks preferred acorns over corn this year but had a few good stalks on them in the timber to get me ready for turkey season.Its gets exciting when you have 20 or so swimming around looking for where that calling came from and you kill one then use that body as a decoy to lure them back again for another shot.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 01-28-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    The Old Man is in his late 70's now. Even when it hurts, if there is a chance of getting them, he is in. Seeing him laying on the ground, in sparse cover, in the snow this year because that was the only way it was going to get done was really something...
    That’s what I hope I’m able to do...I never missed a day I wasn’t working.

I just turned 50 and im still as mad at em now as I was in my twenties....well , almost anyways . Hurts a little more now after 3 or 4 days in a row , but I don't think I am able to slow down chasin em .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

I fill voids by shooting winter doves. It helps my spirits.

If I am off work I am going, even if chances are slim. My mind is more at peace going to the most likely places and seeing nothing, than being at home wondering did I miss an opportunity at one more pair of mallards or blacks. In South Carolina, I will never know which Mallard or Black, will be my last the way duck migrations are trending.
    Last edited by BRR; 01-28-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I go sometimes, even if I really don’t want to, because I have to.
    this....
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.