Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Season dates?

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    If you need a decoy to kill a turkey then you ain't much of a turkey hunter. The End.

Please share your personal experiences with turkeys and dove fields...
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Maybe we should start a go-fund-me account to buy labhumper a strutter, since they make killing turkeys so easy.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Get rid of all male decoys. That would be a huge step in the right direction IMO.
    3 birds per person
    Apr 1- May 15 statewide

I personally think the male decoys are the biggest issue. I have seen people who have no business ever killing a turkey kill them time and time again using strutters.

Timberman, don't ever become a politician.
    I know guys that don’t know a thing about turkeys. They have no calls, just a seat, a shotgun, and a strutter. Hunt fields and shoot em as they run in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    I know guys that don’t know a thing about turkeys. They have no calls, just a seat, a shotgun, and a strutter. Hunt fields and shoot em as they run in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep...I'm convinced that the use of strutters by so many hunters is the reason why you don't see nearly as many gobblers in fields as you used to while riding around the state. Those turkeys get killed with a quickness nowadays. They used to be some of the hardest turkeys to hunt and now they are the most vulnerable.
    Last edited by MKW; 01-27-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Please share your personal experiences with turkeys and dove fields...
    Come on down to the HOLE and I promise you will understand. You can't be a dick all your life young man. Life is Short.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Yep...I'm convinced that the use of strutters by so many hunters is the reason why you don't see nearly as many gobblers in fields as you used to while riding around the state. Those turkeys get killed with a quickness nowadays. They used to be some of the hardest turkeys to hunt and now they are the most vulnerable.
    If I’m being honest, a bird that flies down into a field and struts there all day deserves whatever death he suffers. He should be shot with a rifle, with a shotgun over a strutter, or poisoned.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    If I’m being honest, a bird that flies down into a field and struts there all day deserves whatever death he suffers. He should be shot with a rifle, with a shotgun over a strutter, or poisoned.
    Yes, Boozer, I know how you feel. The difference is, you are 30something and I am 50something. I'm just not that mad anymore.
    But, surely you get my point. The strutting decoy has taken the hardest to kill, most frustrating turkey to kill and made him the easy target. That alone should tell folks how easy it is to kill a gobbler with those things.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Yes, Boozer, I know how you feel. The difference is, you are 30something and I am 50something. I'm just not that mad anymore.
    But, surely you get my point. The strutting decoy has taken the hardest to kill, most frustrating turkey to kill and made him the easy target. That alone should tell folks how easy it is to kill a gobbler with those things.
    I’m 40 now, so I’m clearly far more wise. There is no doubt that they are an equalizer with field birds. And that’s their only decent quality
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

That’s exactly why.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

This thread is a perfect example as to why game management shouldn't be left up to political influence.

There are so many emotions in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    There are so many emotions in here.
    Straight passion bro...
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Mar 28-Apr 28
    3 Birds Statewide
    App Check-In similar to GA

Reducing the daily bag limit from 2 to 1 per person would have a positive effect. There is no need to kill 2 turkeys in one day. I bet 90 percent of the people that kill 2 kill them both together either in one shot or get dubs. Most people struggle to get a turkey in front of them in range. They get lucky when they do so they can brag they shoot 2.

The extent of my formal wildlife biology traing is I passed biology 101 and I am pretty sure I passed Statistics 25 years ago at SCSC and I read all of Lovett WilIiams books so I'm not exactly a trained biologist. Couple of questions for those who know much more about this stuff than I do.

I know part of the reason we had different starting dates for the Low Country and the Upper part of the state was tradition. If my understanding of turkey breeding is correct, it's the amount of daylight that triggers them to start breeding. Is there that much difference in the coast and the mountains of S.C. that we need to stagger the openings? I don't have a problem with that, just wondered if it's justified scientifically.

Second question. If making the season longer resulted in more dead turkeys than when we had the five bird limit, would making the season shorter, ie 30-35 days state wide along with a one bird a day allow us to still shoot 5 and stilll reduce the number of birds killed total? I know that's a pipe dream but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt