Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Season dates?

Default Season dates?

Have they been confirmed yet?

Same as last year..... Nothing changes this season.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I think I might call Emily today on her cell and see what's up! I need to let her know how accurate my hypothesis was and how shitty hers was anyway.
    Windows Down!

There is an article in The State today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hunting harder than ever. Started waking up at 4:30 AM last week just to get use to it.

Honestly, with the floods, poor recruitment, and over-harvest, it won't be ethical or worth it to hunt turkeys for the next few years. Plus, I saw three strutters this morning, so they'll be gobbled out by the time the season starts for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    “It looks like hunting may be playing a bigger role than we thought in the past, ’’ said Charles Ruth, turkey project supervisor at Natural Resources. “Something has changed.’’

WOW. I know he didn't want the seasons changed. He's making this stance to get back to an April 1 season. I don't think he actually believes this.

How can you make this assumption in only 2 years. Plus we had the best hatch in 5 years this past Spring.
    Last edited by M2Field; 01-25-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    I think I might call Emily today on her cell and see what's up! I need to let her know how accurate my hypothesis was and how shitty hers was anyway.
    You need her number or you already got it?

Anyone notice the turkey pic at the bottom of that article looks to be a pet turkey with a yard bird standing guard in the back ground. The author grew up in Anderson and went to SC for his higher learning. WTH?
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

hell i thought it was a flocked decoy at first glance.

interesting that biologists are indicating their belief that the early season is negatively affecting turkey populations, while some hunters are crying foul. haven't we been saying for years that we need to follow biologist rec's?
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

When the issue of the Wild Turkey changes from politics to actual interest in wild turkeys they will find solutions. Until then, we will have a season or bag limit change every few years, and watch guys in suits pat each other’s back while the eggs go up and smoke or choked down somethings throat.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    hell i thought it was a flocked decoy at first glance.

interesting that biologists are indicating their belief that the early season is negatively affecting turkey populations, while some hunters are crying foul. haven't we been saying for years that we need to follow biologist rec's?
    LOL
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

DT, i dont keep up with all this and am admittedly not well versed...care to expound?
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    When the issue of the Wild Turkey changes from politics to actual interest in wild turkeys they will find solutions. Until then, we will have a season or bag limit change every few years, and watch guys in suits pat each other’s back while the eggs go up and smoke or choked down somethings throat.
    NAILED IT!!

I did not attend the senate show but heard there is disagreement in starting dates. It seems a bit unusual that DNR just discovered when the peak mating season is and fertility issues.

Biologist tend to want the maximum reproduction and that philosophy has to mesh with politicians who tend to want the maximum harvest.

The answer is: What is the maximum sustained harvest.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 01-25-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Who are the Senators opposing Campsen's bill?
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    Anyone notice the turkey pic at the bottom of that article looks to be a pet turkey with a yard bird standing guard in the back ground. The author grew up in Anderson and went to SC for his higher learning. WTH?
    Definitely not a wild bird.

There has not been a bill sponsored by a member of the house or senate dealing with turkey season or limits. I believe the article was written from a DNR presentation of the study. The article said Campsen planned to introduce a bill.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 01-25-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    It seems a bit unusual that DNR just discovered when the peak mating season is and fertility issues.

Biologist tend to want the maximum reproduction and that philosophy has to mesh with politicians who tend to want the maximum harvest.

The answer is: What is the maximum sustained harvest.
    That is not the case.
    No one is claiming they just now discovered when peak mating.
    The news flash is more to the point IE just now discovering the effects of harvesting gobblers during the peak of mating!
    Big difference....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE