Thread: Put/Take Quail

Default Put/Take Quail

Didn’t know where to put this, dove will work.

I might be putting out quail at a property I own next year to pass the time in the afternoon after duck hunting in the morning.

I’ve shot released quail, never been involved with keeping, releasing, feeding, or anything else related to them though. Someone with some knowledge, let me know what I need to know. I don’t want to raise chicks, basically store mature birds until I’m ready to put them out and shoot.

You need Johnny houses. You also need to pm bushhoggin on here he's got two houses and is also raising chicks.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Flight pen and a Johnny house is the way to go. Or one Johnny house and buy birds day or so before shoot and keep them in the Johnny house till you’re ready to hunt. To keep healthy birds for an extended period they should be in a flight pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Coming back to this ... I it this simple? Flight pen and a johnny house?

I'll have this going on roughly 80 acres, it's kind of split up with a front half of the property (10 - 15 acres), a house, then the back half (roughly 50 acres). Is one Johnny house enough?

Jacob my roommate raises about 8k a year so lemme know if you need some

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    Jacob my roommate raises about 8k a year so lemme know if you need some
    They'll be at the course ... Afternoon filler. If we can get them to there, I'll probably take you up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Coming back to this ... I it this simple? Flight pen and a johnny house?

I'll have this going on roughly 80 acres, it's kind of split up with a front half of the property (10 - 15 acres), a house, then the back half (roughly 50 acres). Is one Johnny house enough?
    Find out what the bird breeder is feeding and get some. Switching food doesn't help them. Exposure to dogs and people makes them runners. Put landscaping fabric around the flight pen so they can't see anything and minimize exposure. Do maintenance at night with dim lighting if possible. You'll probably need strong fencing and an electric fence charger around the outside of the pen to keep critters away. Pen raised birds don't know how to eat anything other than what they were raised on. If you put them in a seedy, buggy field, they might starve to death before the hawks eat them.

It's illegal to use a recapture cage unless you register your property as a shooting preserve and follow some stupid banding rules, etc. Otherwise, once you turn a bird loose, it is considered wild game...limits and all other rules apply.

I try not to keep them longer than a week. I prefer to get around 30-60 birds at a time and shoot them up as soon as possible. They get less and less vigorous in the first couple weeks until they get used to your pen. I dizzy them up and put them out in small groups or pairs and turn the dogs loose almost immediately.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire