Thread: Trolling motor install help

Default Trolling motor install help

Let’s see what the ducks crowd has to say.

Trying to mount a minn Kota terrova with a quick release on a key west 186DC. I got the outer part of the quick release secure to the TM no problem. When lining everything up on the bow, I have to slide the TM forward enough to get the shaft to clear the bow of the boat. In doing so the front two holes of the center part of the quick release bracket (the part that fastens to the boat) stick out over the edge of the boat...what’s the solution? Simply drill more holes in the bracket to make them fit? Mount it on larger stainless plate and secure plate to boat or what? Attached pick is a little exaggerated but it gives you an idea.

276C2D1C-EE89-42F1-998B-E63C55887E09.jpg

I drilled more holes for my scout. Worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    I drilled more holes for my scout. Worked just fine.
    I was wondering how much support you actually got with the holes so close together? Got any pics? What size TM?

No picks right now but I can get some tomorrow. 24v 70lb thrust. I think I had a out 2" hanging off the bow. I did use a backing plate instead of washers under it.

Get you a longer piece of starboard to mount to the boat and then mount the puck to the starboard.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    Get you a longer piece of starboard to mount to the boat and then mount the puck to the starboard.
    It’s not square fitting. These are cut on a bevel. I can do that but trying to figure out how not to make this $80 purchased bracket go to waste b

Ended up Flipping the mount backwards and that bought me three inches. But had to drill new holes in the base of the TM. No big deal really. Just hate putting holes in new stuff.

I have a 186dc and I installed a piece of 3/4 starboard to the boat that allowed me to mount the base/puck forward far enough to get the motor to clear the front of the boat/rubrail. I had to do a similar type of modification on my Pathfinder as well. Pretty common modification required on those power drive/ autopilot/ copilot motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    I have a 186dc and I installed a piece of 3/4 starboard to the boat that allowed me to mount the base/puck forward far enough to get the motor to clear the front of the boat/rubrail. I had to do a similar type of modification on my Pathfinder as well. Pretty common modification required on those power drive/ autopilot/ copilot motors.
    I’ve seen pics of a similar type install.