Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broad Riva Report

Default Broad Riva Report

Ight..... if it tells you anything, I’m on the damn phone typing y’all...... it’s super slow today!!! Weather sucks!! No action in the flats so far. Fixing to try the divide and conquer technique.....

Anywho, I was talking with Adam this morning about his planting, just general small talk. He said they planted corn (mostly), two types of millet, and some rice. That way if weather (like it happened) will sometimes wipeout all the corn. He stated that the high water was from all the rain and most of the corn was damaged by the hurricanes. I asked what his target water level is and he said he’d love to be able to keep it 18” on average, but that was close to impossible this year. Hope this might be some good news. ?

Big ass goose egg!! Took a wiff at a ringer that came fairly close, but did not connect.

Seen a couple big blacks, but they wanted to stay by themselves.

See many mallards?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Seen 10-15 and several black ducks. The fog with no wind and 50* sucked!! They would circle high and then just disappear in the fog.

At this point, as it has been 25 years since I can feel confident I killed a black, if I saw one on the water, I'd be willing to snorkel in range of that bastard. Crazy to me to think that we used to kill them so regularly in the Wateree swamp, and my grandfather's records show they killed a black for every 4 mallards in the Pocalla swamp in the 60's and 70's. I crave one of those big velvet sumbitches.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Just to rub it in a little. I got my fill of blacks earlier in the week at the outer banks.

Had approx 200 using the impoundment. Got kinda annoying after we had our limit.

Just kidding, I love to watch dem big black sob’s !!

A63E1730-EF2A-4C49-82E1-57C872AF0D6B.jpg

95DA332E-D041-49DA-AF24-C65340D45FD7.jpg

Great stuff buddy. I will head to NE Canada soon to beat the brakes off of them for my years of suffering.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Great stuff buddy. I will head to NE Canada soon to beat the brakes off of them for my years of suffering.
    Lets do this. 8 blackducks a day each is a goal we are checking off next season. Mottled ducks may not apply...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Lets do this. 8 blackducks a day each is a goal we are checking off next season. Mottled ducks may not apply...
    I am not allergic to airplanes. I haven’t tested my black duck allergy in many years, but I like my chances.

This will shape up to be good...

Harv?

Air and opportunity

Inside track my boy...

I was at BR on Saturday as well. I, like Tha Dick, did not see many birds either. There were a few big ducks around but nowhere close to me.

I wound up with four ringnecks, but should have had six. I had a jerk rig with two ringnecks and a mallard clipped on. Early on, I had birds flaring, so I removed the mallard and pulled back into the timber a hair more. They came on in then and me and dawg had a good time.

I saw paperwork after the hunt and it looked like six birds were killed. My four, one mallard and one widgeon.

Anybody heard a report from BI West on Friday?

Buddy's group had hen pin, one hen diver, and a widgeon. 4 guns. Saw a couple of dark ducks.

Was the corn thick and plush or look like a scraggly mess
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    corn, what corn? Could anybody find a kernel?

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    I was in the flats so I did not see any impoundments, Drylok could attest to the shape of them. Adam did say that the hurricanes and flooding took down most of the corn. He mentioned that they planted multiple crops (millet, rice) for that reason. History shows that the weather can and will knock all the corn out. at least they had the other food source to try to hold some birds. I can't remember exactly how many acres he said, but corn was by far the most planted.
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 01-22-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    I was in the flats so I did not see any impoundments, Drylok could attest to the shape of them. Adam did say that the hurricanes and flooding took down most of the corn. He mentioned that they planted multiple crops (millet, rice) for that reason. History shows that the weather can and will knock all the corn out. at least they had the other food source to try to hold some birds. I can't remember exactly how many acres he said, but corn was by far the most planted.
    Andrew is trying to cop out now..... chufa was planted over most of the area. He also probably did not mention bumping what birds they do have couple times a week......
    Last edited by BRR; 01-22-2019 at 08:31 AM.