Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backtension/hindge releases

Default Backtension/hindge releases

Those of you that shoot or hunt with a back tension release, what are you using? I currently use a thumb release (Stan sx4). I want to shoot 3D and indoor with a back tension. Just wondering what everyone is using. Looking for somethng with a lot of adjustability.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 01-18-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Those of you that shoot or hunt with a back tension release, what are you using? I currently use a thumb release (Stan sx4). I want to shoot 3D and indoor with a back tension. Just wondering what everyone is using. Looking for somethng with a lot of adjustability.

Carter honey. I love the control of the index hole carter releases, but my finger is too chubby to use one with gloves. You wouldn’t have any issue in summer league. Anything Carter or Stan makes will be top shelf, just cruse their respective sites and start buying and selling til you land on one. Sucks there isn’t a place to go try a dozen then buy.

Believe it or not, the new handheld stuff from trufire is super nice.

Back in the day a 3 finger Stan!
    Low country redneck who moved north

What do you feel you will gain with a back tension release over a thumb release? Honest question.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

It’s just a different style. Most competitive shooters switch back and forth as to prevent target panic. I do develop target panic every once and a while. I have read and talked to a lot of shooters that have said owning both and switching back and forth will help.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    What do you feel you will gain with a back tension release over a thumb release? Honest question.
    When "let off" became a thing with modern bows a lot of shooters abandoned the principle of pulling through the shot. They will get to the back of the draw cycle, relax then punch forward when they go to hit the release trigger. So enter back tension releases as a tool to help solve this problem.

I briefly thought about going to a back tension release and dismissed it once I realized cleaning up my form would take care of any of those issues for free.

It sounds like I'm knocking them and I'm not. Just explaining their purpose. Pull through the shot, drive your elbow high and back, squeeze the shoulder blades together and treat your release trigger just like a rifle trigger and you're GTG.

If you have never had target panic you will not understand. The best archers in the world pull thru the shot with their back.

Both back tension and trigger release should be shot the same, you don’t time the shot just pull through. Randy Ulmer explains almost as well as Glenn. Most people naturally tense up trying to force a floating pin. If you relax and pull through you naturally center the pin and release relaxed with your strongest muscles hold the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I’ve shot a back tension release before and understood them fairly well, maybe not as good as you guys, but I got the gist.

I was mainly just curious what had the OP looking into them. If you’ve got target panic that seems to be everyone’s go to cure method.

I could never get the hang of the back tension. Had a carter evolution, seems like I always had it set too light or too heavy and was gonna tear the bow apart before it went off. Maybe I just didn’t know how to use it.

I’m back with the ole wrist rocket right now and shoot it well out to 60-70 yards but I’d like to move into a thumb style release just for kicks and giggles. They are just so proud of those things.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Thanks guys. I’ve shot a back tension release before and understood them fairly well, maybe not as good as you guys, but I got the gist.

I was mainly just curious what had the OP looking into them. If you’ve got target panic that seems to be everyone’s go to cure method.

I could never get the hang of the back tension. Had a carter evolution, seems like I always had it set too light or too heavy and was gonna tear the bow apart before it went off. Maybe I just didn’t know how to use it.

I’m back with the ole wrist rocket right now and shoot it well out to 60-70 yards but I’d like to move into a thumb style release just for kicks and giggles. They are just so proud of those things.

Yes thumb and back tension are suppose to be shit the same way. However you can developer a “punch” in a thumb trigger. That is basically where I’m at. I played with a back tension a month before the season but really lost time in trying to work thru the process. I borrowed that one so I am looking to purchase one.

I will say this once you go to a crisp quality thumb release it is hard as hell to go back to a wrist. At least it was for me when I cut my hand during the season. Don’t let the price scare you. Decide what you want and watch the classifieds on archery talk. I got a Stan sx4 for half price.

The key to properly learning to shoot a back tension release is shooting several thousand arrows at a bag 4’ in front of you with your eyes closed.

I’m being serious. Yes it’s a pain in the ass. It’s worth it tho
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    The key to properly learning to shoot a back tension release is shooting several thousand arrows at a bag 4’ in front of you with your eyes closed.

This is absolutely correct

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

It helps for sure.

If you haven’t almost dropped your bow or had it scare you, you aren’t shooting it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post

Solid advice right here. I’m far from an excellent shot but I shoot with my eyes closed as much as I do with them open. It helps tremendously with dealing with target panic.

With back tension you don't time the release, it should be a "surprise". Best I can explain it.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I've gone to 100% blindfolded shots. So far I have hit one of the neighbors cats, 16 trees, couple other arrows I don't know where they went, and I also have a warrant out now.

And you still shoot better than CootSwitchback.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    With back tension you don't time the release, it should be a "surprise". Best I can explain it.
    Same with a thumb if you shoot it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    And you still shoot better than CootSwitchback.
    While that may be true, pipe down with the “coot” talk. Eye am surprised to see you commenting on a thread that has anything to do with eyes anyway. #surveyingwithsafetygoggles