Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headed West

Default Headed West

The time finally came for a trip to visit buddies just a little to the West.

Prep started for the trip over the summer when I picked up a Homer Decoy brant kit, restle coated and painted. They made their way out ahead of me in October to be added to the spread.

Landed Friday afternoon, messed around the city while waiting on my buddy to get off work. I got some great looks lugging around a shotgun case in a pretty liberal city! Had a fantastic supper in the city then headed to get the gear together for brant in the AM.

First good group to put their feet down I sat up and rolled two. Second one is banded! What a way to start a trip!

I had my two birds and rotated out for my buddies to shoot their brant. Final bird of the morning my buddy David spots another band when a group of 8 puts down their feet! Double band, green tarsus!

Packed up and picked up the spread. Headed to pick up the crab pots we dropped before hunting. Culled the small ones and had our limit of Dungeness.

Made the call to shoot wigeon in the afternoon. As setting decoys, birds were trying to get in. Laid down and a group swings through, buddy Rick sits up and rolls the first stud wigeon of the day. Picked out a lot of pretty drakes.

Almost finished the limit and the birds quit moving. We picked up and headed to get ready for brant in the morning.

Brant again Sunday, then headed to shoot mallards and pintails. More story and pictures coming!

Got to the mallards hole minus one buddy (had to go back to work). Buddy looks at me and says I don't shoot much more than mallards here, hope green heads are good with you.

First group of three flies over, hit the call wings lock and boom it's on, 3min after legal, fat greenhead hits the water. Over the next 3 hours we worked groups from the stratosphere from 20 at a time to singles, picking studs and taking turns. 100% the best hunt of my life as far as birds responding and fun time with a good buddy.

Next day we do similar with a few less pintails. Birds worked and responded well, we had a ball.

Earlier in the week there was some discussion about a possible Harlequin and we made the call to chase one on the last day. We would shoot brant again if it worked out, but the goal would be to decoy a harlequin to make the trip back to the east coast in my carry-on bag.

We got set up Wednesday morning in what we realized was a little off the flight path. Moved the decoys over about 100yds, with a little more sun on the decoys, an absolutely beautiful drake swings down wind, turns and tries to get into between the decoys we spaced as a landing zone. I get him! Rock on! Icing on the cake to a killer week with great buddies. A nice bottle of bourbon purchased, and enjoyed with duck 3ways(roasted plucked brant, pintail and mallards).IMG_20190113_131403542_HDR.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scdiver; 01-18-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Congrats. Looks like a great time

Wonderful!!!

I love the Sound.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

That sounds like a cool trip. More pics please
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

buy a lottery ticket...quickly
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Ahhhhhh!!!! I love the West coast and can't wait to get back out there. Talked with the wife last night about it. We are going to try and get back to Northern California but if that doesn't work then Astoria Oregon and Seattle Washington will be our second and third choices. Any of the three offer amazing duck hunting, big game, and fishing opportunities if you can stand the political climates in those states.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Excellent!

Sounds like a great trip!

Oh yea

I like it!

Have fun - keep reporting!

Awesome trip!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Great trip
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I truly believe the west coast offers the most diverse straps a waterfowler could ever hope for. Outside a black ducks you have the opportunity to kill pretty much any other duck or goose in north America.

Couple that with fewer hunters and more land, it's a waterfowl paradise.

Good work.

Very nice!

I love Dungeness crabs.

Now that you've posted more pics I feel the need to say again, Helluva job!

I’ll never understand why pacific widgeon look like that, and ours look like they struggle to grow their eye stripe.

Great trip.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I'm supposed to go to California in June. I may have to figure out how to take a hunting trip there next season.

good work, looks like an awesome time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Great stuff