Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting take on the shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I was told to open my office for the 3 days, just in the event someone comes by with a question. Work on something while I am there? The bosses say it better not happen. Oh, and I don’t get paid. Makes perfect sense.
    Yea it does...

Basically same thing is happening with some USFS employees. They’re still having to get some work done, but damn sure aren’t getting paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    That article is from 12/2018. Is there something new you were trying to link to?
    Yep

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ent/index.html

How does that work for those of you affected?? Do you get back pay once this is settled? Comp time?

Could not imagine the shit show I would have on my hands if I pulled a stunt like that with my employees...
    Last edited by FishSticker; 01-16-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Trump is running a trillion dollar deficit. The government isn't shrinking. How did the great one let Mexico paying for the wall turn in to Rink King not getting a paycheck? Never saw that one coming,..(sarcasm alert.)
    Any entity that in debt out to sell off some of its assets. Let's start with massive landholdings in the western states. Sound good?

Why would you start with what millions of taxpayers actually value that also generates billions for the economy? Only someone from Trumpistan would start there.....
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Any entity that in debt out to sell off some of its assets. Let's start with massive landholdings in the western states. Sound good?
    Oh, I like the direction you are headed in...

How does public land generate any more money than private land?

Of course it doesn't. You could easily generate more revenue privately off of 2000 acres of the 300 Square miles the government owns in Graham County NC alone...

You could start by looking at the funds generated for wild life through hunting licenses and the commerce/industry hunters create.

Turn all of that public land into private and western hunting will be a thing of the past.

Anyone who proposes the sell off of public lands in the western states has either never been there to see them or is just plain ignorant. My God, its one of the last things this country has going for it.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I’m definitely not trying to make a joke about the coast guards situation right now but this is funny.

I am hoping the coasties get some relief soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsgOr5Pj...d=soqoxavnf87z

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    My God, its one of the last things this country has going for it.
    The hell? This country is awesome. Travel much? Been to many Lowcountry plantations? Forestland in the midlands? The beach? The mountains? The rivers? Tell me more about these other countries that have so much going for them, comrade?

Is that question for me because I haven't made such a claim. Why did you even bring up public land?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    The hell? This country is awesome. Travel much? Been to many Lowcountry plantations? Forestland in the midlands? Tell me more about these other countries that have so much going for them, comrade?
    Travel plenty. Seen plenty of beautiful places. Lowcountry plantations? No, not many. I wasn’t lucky enough to be born into a family that owned one.

That’s my point. Turn the west into all private and only the rich will ever be able to experience it.

I understand the desire to make our economy strong and produce at maximum capacity but to what extent? Do you throw out your grandfathers shotgun because a newer model functions better? No. It’s there to be remembered and treasured for what it is. As hunters, in a time where we seemed to be getting shut out in every direction, I can’t understand why we would be, even remotely, willing to talk about selling off some of the last places that we have access to. There’s plenty of concrete and roads and industrial parks where I am, what’s wrong with sparing a little.

We can’t get it back once it’s gone.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Trump just signed a bill guaranteeing back pay

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post

Turn the west into all private and only the rich will ever be able to experience it.
    No, it doesn't work that way. People who want access will gain access. Just like here with hunting clubs. Turn those millions of acres that the government is hoarding into private and you will not only see more access for more people, but I would submit better access. Certainly better managed in the main...

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    Trump just signed a bill guaranteeing back pay
    I know our Coast Guard buddies are loving that!

I wonder how many points people are paying for money on the street for these days...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Turn those millions of acres that the government is hoarding into private and you will not only see more access for more people
    That's clearly speculation and far stretched at that. In fact, its just plain false. Hunter numbers are falling across the nation, one of the top reasons, ACCESS.

You can't tell me that Colorado would generate the same amount of OOS license sales if suddenly all the public land disappeared into private hands. And that's not even addressing the issue of worrying about who would be rich enough to ascertain these lands. Once they are sold, you can't get them back.

That back country camping trip into the wilderness that some people dream about wouldn't exist anymore. The DIY elk hunt is gone. The backpacking in for a long week of fly fishing on waters that rarely see a human being, gone. Unless, of course, you're born into the Koch family.

Why do we get a hard on every time someone posts a picture of a western hunt? Or drool over someones tales of their Alaska trip? It's the last places that anyone has the opportunity to go experience something unadulterated.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Is that question for me because I haven't made such a claim. Why did you even bring up public land?
    You clearly said conversion of land from public to private would be billions of dollars lost for the economy.
    Why did you bring up Trumps deficit?

It's cool to be libertarian until you gotta do libertarian shit