Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heirloom doubles

I had Phil at Darlington rework an old gun of my father's that I gave him on his birthday some years back. He did great work. Honestly I talk to him from time to time, but I don't know if he's still doing work over there. It just hasn't came up. I've got a few old doubles that have been passed down in my family, all but one are damascus. The one that isn't I'll shoot a few summerducks or doves with from time to time. It's a 16g Beretta silverhawk. I thought about reworking it, but it was made for hunting.. so I'm not sure how far I'll take it.

Maurice Griffin in Saluda
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I have my maternal grandfathers Remington Nitro Lefevre 12 ga SxS, and my other grandfather's Winchester model 12, 20 ga that I had checked out and "fixed" last year. I have shot a few summerducks with the SxS, but haven't shot the model 12 yet. It has only had 2 shells fired through it, by my gunsmith to check it, since before my grandfather died in 1960. My dad, 87 now, wants to shoot some quail. He hasn't seen the model 12, since I picked it up from him last year. My plan is to put it in his hands to shoot a couple quail with, when we go in a week or two. After that, I plan to kill a summerduck with it, then probably retire it. Neither of the guns are high end guns, but are priceless to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the input guys. The story is that my grandfather bought the LC Smith from Sears & Roebuck for $16. He got the Remington on a trade for the LC Smith (long story). My mom was able to buy back the same LC for my father. They are both field grade 12s. I don't know that I would shoot them much, but would like to make sure they are around for my son. Don't know that he will appreciate them like I do. The bores on both are rough, with the LC being the best. I did contact Turnbull a while back about the bore, and he said it might be possible to repair, but would have to inspect to verify. I will probably try to have bores cleaned up and guns cleaned and checked out for safe usage. I did shoot the Remington a few times back in the 70s, but don't know the last time LC was shot. I do remember my dads uncle shooting the LC on dove shoots back in the day. It has 32" full choke barrels.
    Christian Southern White Heterosexual Gun-Toting Male (The world's most hated minority)

Be careful with the full chokes. 32” barrels are a desirable gun and collectible even as a field grade. Send it to a competent gunsmith to clean and inspect it. If given the okay, shoot rst low pressure loads through it and enjoy it. My family side by sides are probably the first thing I would grab in a house fire.

An excellent read in the latest SC WILDLIFE MAG. about side by side's.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Perfect photo cover for KA alumnus magazine.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I had Phil at Darlington rework an old gun of my father's that I gave him on his birthday some years back. He did great work. Honestly I talk to him from time to time, but I don't know if he's still doing work over there. It just hasn't came up. I've got a few old doubles that have been passed down in my family, all but one are damascus. The one that isn't I'll shoot a few summerducks or doves with from time to time. It's a 16g Beretta silverhawk. I thought about reworking it, but it was made for hunting.. so I'm not sure how far I'll take it.
    I know Phil is still doing stock work, don't know about metal. I will see him at the gunshow in 2 weeks.

Ithaca Featherweight 20 gauge made in 1911 Flues barrels. Tight as the day it was made.
    The Flues model was sold from 1908 to 1926, and was named after the head gunmaker at Ithaca at the time, Emil Flues.
    Talk about a featherweight that swings on a bird like nothing you have ever seen. Its a thing of beauty when splattering a dove or quail
    IMG_2115.jpg
    IMG_2116.jpg
    Last edited by ecu1984; 02-18-2019 at 10:13 PM.