Thread: Venison Red Rice

Default Venison Red Rice

I was making venison chili and ended up with about 1/3 lb of extra already cooked venison. I threw the extra meat it in a rice pot with some extra ingredients and made a smaller version of this. My wife loved it – said it was one of the best “one pot wonders” I had ever cooked.

Just thought I’d share. Let me know how it comes out if you make it and if you added any tweaks. BTW - It seemed a lot easier before I wrote it down but it really doesn’t take but a few minutes to get everything cooking.

1 lb ground venison (7% fat is best - unless you asked for it, most processors add 15% so drain off some of the fat after cooking)
    1 level teaspoon salt
    1 heaping teaspoon onion powder
    1 level teaspoon black pepper
    1 level teaspoon smoked paprika
    1 level teaspoon chili powder

Slightly cook (brown) and break-up the venison in the bottom of a 4 or 6 quart pot. Drain some fat if necessary.
    Add an ounce or so of water then stir in the onion powder, black pepper, salt, paprika and chili powder then stir until the ingredients are mixed well.

1 heaping tablespoon of brown sugar
    1 heaping tablespoon of Knorr tomato bouillon
    1 can of red kidney beans (drained)
    2 ounces of Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomatoes, about 1/3 of a bag (I really don’t think this is necessary)

1½ cups of Rice (I use Mahatma)

Add 3 cups of water (maybe a tad more – err on the side of too much water) to the seasoned venison, the brown sugar, sun dried tomatoes, kidney beans, and tomato bouillon and bring to a boil. Once it’s a rolling boil add the rice, cover and turn the heat down to low for 20 minutes.

Let it rest for 5 additional minutes without removing the lid then remove the lid, stir up the ingredients and serve.

I promise it's easier than it might look and very, very tastey for a one-pot meal.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 01-15-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: forgot the kidney beans.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I bet this is fire.

Sounds awesome

Rubberhead - thanks, not sure how I missed that in my search.

Not a big fan of deer as they still make cows, but I would give that a go...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Not a big fan of deer as they still make cows, but I would give that a go...
    Other than when Harris Teeter runs their $10.99/lb tenderloin special, I pretty much have only eaten deer for red meat for about the last 5 or 6 years. Now, when I do get a steak at a restaurant, I swear it tastes like a barn smells to me.

My marathon-running daughter was the catalyst for the only-deer thing. She only eats deer and duck for red meat. I think that's getting to be a common thing with millennials that they only want organic. She's married now but I can always draw her home with a promise of a venison or duck meal.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.