Thread: Metal building/engineer question

Default Metal building/engineer question

I have a 6000 sq/ft building and want to add a roll up door.

On either side, there are these X cables...on the front right corner and middle right side of the building. I want to add the roll up door at the right front corner and would have to eliminate these X cable there.

My question is- what does the cable do, and how important is it? I figured what better place to ask than scducks?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Left side center....

X bracing is your shear component in that wall and keeps it from racking/ twisting.

It is possible to frame in a door, and once you do so the extra framing will most likely accommodate that load.

In tents, we call those wind load cables. They give rigidity to the structure laterally when the wind hits the end of the building (90 deg to the bay in which they are installed).
    I can't speak for buildings, but we will use a portal beam that attaches to the legs on each side of the bay in question when a customer needs to maintain ingress/egress in such a place. That portal beam is installed at a height that is above the level required by code. That will basically do the same thing as the wind load cable, but it lets people/equipment come and go underneath it.

You need to consult with a structural engineer on this.
    Last edited by Simple Man; 01-15-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I would frame my door with the same beams (go all the way to the roof) and put the cable back up to the door frame or put in cross braces to the door frame form the existing uprights. You could move them to the next section.
    Last edited by TheSkipper; 01-15-2019 at 02:05 PM.

X-braces serve 2 purposes...#1 is to square and hold the building plumb while erecting and attaching the wall paneling...Once the wall paneling is installed, the sheeting effect negates any transfer of load to the x-braces.

#2, as previously stated, holds the building in place without the paneling...In the event of a major wind storm the sheets are designed to vent off the primary and secondary structure and leave the steel standing...I've personally reinstalled sheets on hurricane and tornado damaged buildings that were structurally sound after the paneling vented...In the absence of x-bracing the entire structure would have failed...Removing the x-bracing without an engineered replacement such as a portal frame or wind posts would more than likely void your insurance in the event of a catastrophy.

Building will stand without it after it's sheeted, I've taken them out many times...But the above is reality.
    Last edited by Swift Strike; 01-16-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Great info- thanks for the responses.