Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KRT? F150 vs F250

Default KRT? F150 vs F250

1st. I dont want this to turn into a Chevy, Dodge, Toyota etc thread. I have driven F150s since 1998 (except for a 2007 GMC 1500 for 2 years....never again.)

KRT: Its time for a new work truck.

My latest research has found that f250 XLT's are comparable in price or actually cheaper than 150's with needed additions of towing package, mirrors, extended fuel, brake controller etc. All that stuff is standard on an XLT 250. For instance, per the Ford build website, comparably equipped 250 vs. 150, the 250 is nearly $2000 cheaper retail.

I do pull a camper and boats a good bit, so the 250 would come in handy. I am looking at either a Gas 250 or a 5.0 150. And NO, diesel is not an option.

Question:

How does the 6.2 gas engine hold up? Any mechanical issues to be aware of?

Since mpg is not published on 250's what is a real expectation? I am getting average 15mpg on a '15 5.0 now.

Anything else I should be comparing in these two vehicles.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

You’ll eat up the $2,000 you saved on the front end in gas fairly quickly. Imo
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

It should be against the damn law to sell a F250/2500 truck with a gas motor.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Why?

I would say you would be looking at around 12-13MPG unloaded. Towing 8-10mpg. I don't do much better than that in my 5.4L F150 with a 17ft boat. The extra room would sure be nice from the Super Duty.

Axle Gearing will make the ultimate decision: you have three options:

3.73- will net best MPG- possibly in the 15+ mpg range
    4.10- middle of the road MPG/ Very good towing.
    4.30- Will Pull anything you hook to it and NOT give a DAMN (6-8MPG towing)
    Last edited by Fireman; 01-15-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Josie,

Get the F250. If you want call me and i’ll discuss.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    It should be against the damn law to sell a F250/2500 truck with a gas motor.

With a dollar spread on fuel and $50 vs $150 routine maintenance I keep thinking hard about sending my diesel down the road.
    cut\'em

Thanks krt. I may call to discuss maintenance costs and known 6.2 issues.

A couple of things for the other commenters.

1. Company gas card. (Diesel would be denied in fleet)

2. Purchase price has to fit in budget. $2000 could be the difference.

3. My f150 gets about 14-15 around town. It gets 8 pulling camper, 9-11 pulling boat.

I’ve seen way too many topless pictures of diesels to make me even entertain one.

Biggest question....will f250 fit in my tailgate spot (Natty Problems)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I would say you would be looking at around 12-13MPG unloaded. Towing 8-10mpg. I don't do much better than that in my 5.4L F150 with a 17ft boat. The extra room would sure be nice from the Super Duty.

He is spot on with the 3.73 gears. I ran one for two years and hated every minute of it. Besides the Dodge 2500 I had, it was the roughest truck I have ever ridden in. Nothing is as rough as the Dodge. It's ridiculous.

We have plenty of 6.2 f250s in our fleet. While they don’t acquire as many miles as most fleet units since they stay on property the majority of the time, some of our 2011s have around 60k and we have only had a few issues with the shift solenoids which were covered under warranty. They get about 10-11 mpg whether towing or unloaded and that’s with 33s. I drive one every day.

The new 5.0s in the F150 are not a fair comparison to any of the 5.4s. Get much better mileage but don’t have near the payload or towing capabilities of the 6.2.

I’d vote 6.2 F250 for your usage unless fuel mileage is a huge concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    With a dollar spread on fuel and $50 vs $150 routine maintenance I keep thinking hard about sending my diesel down the road.
    That's basically why I gave mine the boot. Well...that and a few other things, but I just couldn't justify ownership anymore.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Biggest question....will f250 fit in my tailgate spot (Natty Problems)
    I LOL'd b/c this actually was part of my conversation with my wife when I bought my truck. What lot are you in? My dad and I both park in Lot 2 and he has a Dodge 2500 and no way he could get it into an interior aisle. My F150 is hard enough with anyone already parked across from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathook View Post
    I LOL'd b/c this actually was part of my conversation with my wife when I bought my truck. What lot are you in? My dad and I both park in Lot 2 and he has a Dodge 2500 and no way he could get it into an interior aisle. My F150 is hard enough with anyone already parked across from me.
    in lot 2 as well. #400

I do have an end spot, so i put the tents beside the truck now. in the specs it says its the same width, but its a good bit longer.

This is a VERY IMPORTANT question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post

ok, now we are down to this question.....

I dont see the 4.10 option anymore. Its not on the build website nor in the literature. That would be a nice in between.

I have around 91k on the 150 now and a little over 10k was in tow mode.

The 4.30's are almost non existent on dealer lots, but I would be ordering anyway.

My current camper is 7000 empty and the 3.73 is rated at 12000 towing; the 4.30 is 15000. It looks like either will pull with ease.

Question is, do i justify giving up unloaded gas mileage of 1-2 mpg on the 4.30 to pull better in the mountains? Gas is cheap today, but what will it be in 2-3 years?

Also, since they are so rare, would the 4.30 with the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep package be worth more on the used market one day?

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Ive had the 5.4, several 5.0's, and now several ecoboost. I would definitely go with the 3.5 ecoboost imo. Especially for towing. I have had a new F150 every two years since 04. I really wanted the 250, but would hate driving it around town and parking. My F150 with the 157" wheel base is tough enough to park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

When I researched the same few years back, the guys on the forums were all about the 4.30 on the 6.2 F250. Should also benefit if you go slightly larger than stock tires in the future as far as power goes. Obviously all of this equals less mpg, but one cp4 repair on a power stroke would cost more than all that gas burned.

The other thing I saw that was popular was the gas guys using 5 star tuning for tuning. Just from reading, no clue if any of that voodoo has any real world results. I’m skeptical on gas tuning.
    Last edited by wdhigh; 02-20-2019 at 10:30 AM.

F250 with the new 7.3L gas engine.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Go 4.30’s.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    F250 with the new 7.3L gas engine.
    What I was thinking.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I have a 2017 f250 with the 6.2 gas . 14 mpg average 10 to 12 towing. No issues 50k miles. I have had a 7.3 , 6.0 diesel. Don't miss them at all. I pull a 20 ft open or 24' enclosed daily and it's plenty of truck. Hope this helps