Thread: 7.62x39

Default 7.62x39

Anybody load for deer? Gamekings dont appear to be offered in a .310 daimeter. Most factory offers are around 125gr but I've read of some 154gr Wolf. Thoughts? (On bullet choice please, not interested in debating chamber).

My youngest has a RA Ranch in in 39, most of the Wolf is more like a shotgun pattern at 100yds but load some Federal 124grn (I think that’s right) and it’ll hold right around 1.25-1.5”. Have yet to kill anything with it yet though. Be an awful lot of trouble to load that cartridge when it’s so cheap to shoot buying plinking ammo and zeroing to some $20/box quality stuff that’ll last for years.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'm collecting factory ammo to see how it will shoot and to collect brass. My brother does the loading and likes to develop loads to suit a rifle. I understand I'm not saving any money. I don't do much internet buying though either so whatever PSA/Sportsmans/Academy has is what I'm limited to. Might check out Barrons also.

ETA: I need to slug my barrel. If it will shoot a .311 bullet that gives me a few more options and I could load the same 150gr bullet in this rifle and my 7.62x54r.
    Last edited by CurLee; 01-13-2019 at 03:09 PM.

My son has shot the 154 Wolf thru his AK. I believe it shot about as well as one will shoot.

I shoot the Winchester factory loaded 123grn softpoint- It has killed everything I have shot with it out to 175 yards including a 190 lb boar this year, shoots around 2 " with a low power scope off a rolled up coat at 100 yds. Mini 30 tactical. Plenty accurate/power for deer /hogs in the woods

I moved to PA a year ago from TN and brought with me a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39mm I bought just for fooling around with cheap ammo. I have never shot a deer with any caliber less than .30-30 and was wondering how well this cartridge stacks up aginst the .30-30.
    In TN I ran my own tests by shooting winchester 123gr softpoints through two one gallon jugs of water into soaked news paper and the 7.62s expanded nicely but didn't blow the jugs up as good as the .30-30 and had less penetration and made smaller holes in the news paper.
    If you have actual experiance hunting with this caliber, please give your opinion. I know the ballistics but they don't always tell the whole story.

Last edited by Jam; 07-31-2020 at 12:52 AM.