Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman and Lowe’s

Default Craftsman and Lowe’s

Craftsman tools always had a good reputation when I was younger, at least with the average Joe who wasn’t using them on an everyday basis to make a living. I was in Lowe’s today and noticed Craftsman has a big presence. I assume they forged that relationship as a result of Sears imploding.

Does Craftsman still make good tools?

They're ok.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Not if you use them much.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I’d buy kobalt but my brother owns a Mac franchise so i try to buy from him if I need a good tool.

Seams like everyone has craftsman these days.
    Last edited by reeltight; 01-12-2019 at 07:31 PM.

They never were "good," just warrantied. With sears you brought a broken ratchet in and hoped they had a rebuilt one to exchange. I would look into Lowes warranty policy.

Hand tools are still decent, I'd stick to other brands as far as power tools go
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I should have clarified I’m only curious about their hand tools.

I made my living for 40 years using Craftsman tools as did several other of my coworkers. If it broke Sears replaced it.

Ace will replace, not sure about Lowe’s.

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayerjohn View Post
    I made my living for 40 years using Craftsman tools as did several other of my coworkers. If it broke Sears replaced it.
    Yep.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Someone who probably doesn’t really know told me Kobalt is phasing out and Craftsman is rolling in. I hope not. I’ve taken back several Kobalt tools for a no hassle replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I use Craftsman tools almost everyday. They work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bdunc View Post
    Ace will replace, not sure about Lowe’s.
    Lowe's will replace any-damn-thing no matter if they even sell such an item or ever did.

Just bitch, pitch a fit, and swear you bought it from Lowe's and they'll give you an in-store credit on a similar item. Get your gift card, and go buy whatever you want, or just sell it on Ebay for 3% off.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Someone who probably doesn’t really know told me Kobalt is phasing out and Craftsman is rolling in. I hope not. I’ve taken back several Kobalt tools for a no hassle replacement.
    If this were the case, the same company would be making it but the color scheme on the case/handle would change.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayerjohn View Post
    I’ve got a lot of older Craftsman hand tools that were my Dad’s, high quality and tough as can be. I’ve got stuff I’ve purchased in the last 10yrs and it’s absolute shit. Bought a socket and drive set with 1/4 - 1/2 drives, I’ve returned all of the drives multiple times because they failed, hell I had sockets in that set strip out. Screwdrivers break, chisels break on and on. I work on shit around the house, I use Dad’s tools. I work on a job I break the junk and write it off. Though lately I’ve had good results with not breaking Husky stuff.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Probably will go to crap tomorrow but I've had good luck with Harbor Freight handtools.

I thought Craftsman was associated with Ace Hardware? Never been in a Sears, and that isn't an option for the future.
    Last edited by Moonlight Hunter; 01-13-2019 at 01:38 AM.

Sears actually sold off the craftsman brand to Stanley black and Decker about two years ago I believe. As a result the new craftsman tools will be distributed through Lowe’s. Sears has something like a 15 year contact to continue to sell and research and develop tools under the craftsman name, because of this the offerings between Sears and Lowe’s at current time are not the same. I honestly don’t know if they will ever be. From what I understand ( at least what I read in various press releases and articles) the goal of Stanley Black and Decker was to bring back some domestic production. So far from what I have seen some of the offerings are USA made with global materials along with Taiwanese offerings ( at least it isn’t Chinese like a lot of current craftsman).

I know a lot of older guys say USA craftsman stuff wasn’t good back then but it sure is a heck of a lot better than some of the Chinese stuff sears put out fairly recently. I honestly haven’t tried any of the new Lowe’s offerings in fact I have a lot of Chinese craftsman tools that have worked well for me, but the only reason I even considered buying them was because they were on sale or I had points to burn. There is no way in hell I would pay retail on some of that stuff. I have hopes that the new craftsman tools are better, so far some of their new offerings look good but I haven’t taken the dive on thing yet.
    Last edited by Hunting310; 01-13-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Fuck Lowes.

(As I walk in for the 10th time in a week)

I understand B+D also owns Dewalt now? If so, I would expect Craftsman quality to nosedive even more the same way Dewalt has.