Thread: Interesting theory on migration

Default Interesting theory on migration

I came across this theory on another site where hunters were discussing the reports of the shift in the magnetic pole.

Is the change in bird migration on account of Earth's magnetic shift? 2 things are certain, magnetic N is rapidly changing, and we in the South can all attest to the fact that bird migration has changed as well...

Earth’s magnetic pole is on the move, fast. And we don’t know why

Earth’s magnetic field is what allows us to exist. It deflects harmful radiation. It keeps our water and atmosphere in place. But now it’s acting up — and nobody knows why.

Jamie Seidel
    News Corp Australia NetworkJANUARY 12, 20198:48AM

Planet Earth is alive. Deep beneath its skin, its life blood — rivers of molten iron — pulse around its core. And this mobile iron is what generates the magnetic field that causes auroras — and keeps us alive.

But, according to the science journal Nature, something strange is going on deep down below.

It’s causing the magnetic North Pole to ‘skitter’ away from Canada, towards Siberia.

“The magnetic pole is moving so quickly that it has forced the world’s geomagnetism experts into a rare move,” Nature reports.

On January 30 (delayed due to the US Government shutdown), the World Magnetic Model — which governs modern navigation systems — is due to undergo an urgent update.

This model is a vital component of systems ranging from geopositioning systems used to navigate ships through to smartphone trackers and maps.

The current model was expected to be valid until 2020. But the magnetic pole began to shift so quickly, it was realised in 2018 that the model had to be fixed — now.

“They realised that it was so inaccurate that it was about to exceed the acceptable (safe) limit for navigational errors,” Nature reports.

Every year, geophysicists from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the British Geological Survey do a check on how the Earth’s magnetic field is varying.

This is necessary as the liquid iron churning in the Earth’s core does not move in a consistent manner.

“In 2016, for instance, part of the magnetic field temporarily accelerated deep under northern South America and the eastern Pacific Ocean,” Nature reports.

This shift was captured by satellites.

Earth has lines of magnetic force looping from North Pole to South Pole, creating Earth's protective magnetosphere. The straight line coming out of the North and South Poles represents Earth's axis of rotation.

But the movement of the north magnetic pole has been the object of study since 1831. Initially, it was tracked moving into the Arctic Ocean at a rate of about 15km each year. But, since the mid 1990s, it has picked up speed.

It’s now shifting at a rate of about 55km a year.

But another recent study has revealed the Earth’s magnetic field has been acting up now for some 1000 years.

Why the magnetic field is shifting so dramatically is unknown.

“Geomagnetic pulses, like the one that happened in 2016, might be traced back to ‘hydromagnetic’ waves arising from deep in the core,” Nature reports. “And the fast motion of the north magnetic pole could be linked to a high-speed jet of liquid iron beneath Canada”.

This fast-flowing molten river appears to be weakening the magnetic influence of the iron core beneath North America.

“The location of the north magnetic pole appears to be governed by two large-scale patches of magnetic field, one beneath Canada and one beneath Siberia,” Phil Livermore of the University of Leeds told an American Geophysical Union meeting. “The Siberian patch is winning the competition.”

And, as global warming opens up more shipping lanes to the north of Russia and Canada, this presents a potentially deadly problem.

“The fact that the pole is going fast makes this region more prone to large errors,” says Arnaud Chulliat, a geomagnetist at the University of Colorado Boulder and NOAA.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/s...38836c6097be9d

Interesting
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I’m certainly no scientist but a shift of over 34 miles a year, that’s definitely going to skew matters.

I am still trying to figure out how one day there are no coots. The next, coots everywhere.

Now either they are using the underground railroad to travel, or they are flying at night navigating by who knows what.

You don't hear about pilots flying into coots at night, so...

Wait until the North and South poles flip. Things will really get screwy.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-12-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I am still trying to figure out how one day there are no coots. The next, coots everywhere.

Now either they are using the underground railroad to travel, or they are flying at night navigating by who knows what.

They take the coot bus..... It travels under cover of darkness!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Also possible that they cycle in
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post

Also possible that they cycle in
    In the closet coot fan is the only explanation for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor4 View Post
    In the closet coot fan is the only explanation for you.
    There are tons of explanations for me. That would come in way toward the bottom.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Trump probably sold the North Pole to the Russians in a secret deal. There's no telling what the effects will be but we better get rid of all our cars, trains, planes and coal fired power plants to save the planet, just in case.

Coots migrate well offshore, skittering across the surface of the ocean in massive flocks.

GMAC, strange you said that.

I don’t know if you’re serious or not, but last April, I saw 2 coots 30 miles offshore.

Really didn’t believe what I was seeing.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post

Per the mighty Google...

Do Coots migrate at night?
    The fall migration takes the coots to southern lakes and even to brackish estuaries near the coasts where they mingle with the ducks and are often shot as game.” ... While it may seem like these water birds mysteriously appear out of thin air, coots migrate primarily at night and rest and feed in marshes during the day.”

The way I understood it, Coots would usually migrate toward Alabama very shortly following the Thanksgiving weekend.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Nah, I wasn't serious. I've never seen a coot on the ocean, but once, hunting an Ashepoo River impoundment, before daylight I started hearing the familiar
    "fwwwwwwwwwsh" of ducks passing overhead in the dark. The sound that gets your blood going before shooting time. As it got lighter, I could see the faint, dark shapes going by up high, until I finely could see that it was flocks of coots, several hundred feet up, flying as strong and direct as ducks. They kept passing overhead for about 30 minutes after shooting time, and some broke away to dump into the pond I was in. I've never doubted their ability to fly long distances after seeing that.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    The way I understood it, Coots would usually migrate toward Alabama very shortly following the Thanksgiving weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Nah, I wasn't serious. I've never seen a coot on the ocean, but once, hunting an Ashepoo River impoundment, before daylight I started hearing the familiar
    "fwwwwwwwwwsh" of ducks passing overhead in the dark. The sound that gets your blood going before shooting time. As it got lighter, I could see the faint, dark shapes going by up high, until I finely could see that it was flocks of coots, several hundred feet up, flying as strong and direct as ducks. They kept passing overhead for about 30 minutes after shooting time, and some broke away to dump into the pond I was in. I've never doubted their ability to fly long distances after seeing that.
    Anybody ever seen a grebe more than 5 feet above the water? They must do all their migration in the dark.

Marsh hens migrate too. That's hard to imagine unless they walk.