Thread: Peacock Bass Action

Default Peacock Bass Action

We were in South Fla for vacation & my son’s birthday is NYE, so we normally tarpon fish with a guide in Lauderdale when we are down there, but he wanted something different. I’ve seen lots of pictures & heard stories about fishing the freshwater canals & the fish they hold. We were told from a guide in Charleston who he fished with down there & we got him lined up. We put in at sketchy landing in Miami & fished the canals & lakes out towards Opa Locka & Don Shula golf course. Alan the guide put us on the fish from trolling to pitching topwater plugs & even bucktails on bedding fish. We caught about a dozen peacocks, small snook, & a 2lb largemouth. We did see some of the other exotic fish but we didn’t mess with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hahahaha. “Sketchy landing” in Miami.....no way! LOL. Did you put in at the county park?
    Last edited by Ring King; 01-10-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Sounds like a good time with your son, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Hahahaha. “Sketchy landing” in Miami.....no way! LOL. Did you put in at the county park?
    Griffing Park in North Miami. I’d post more pics but it’s a pain from the phone. I’ve got a bunch on my Instagram page

Quote Originally Posted by Tugted312 View Post
    Griffing Park in North Miami. I’d post more pics but it’s a pain from the phone. I’ve got a bunch on my Instagram page
    Just sent you follow request I think on instagram
    867-5309

lakes out towards Opa Locka & Don Shula golf course.
    Opa Locka is a good place to stay away from
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Good stuff. Good job dad.

Yeah, I was pretty nervous the first time I launched there. We were down for a duck hunting trip and spent a day paddling around there catching peacocks with all of our hunting gear locked in my truck. Needless to say I never got far enough that I couldn’t see my truck!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Nice

South Florida.....Man I miss that place.

Did you keep any to eat/have you eaten one? I've seen a bunch of shows with people catching them, and I've never seen them keep one or even discuss eating them, but they look like they would be tasty with some House Autry and a cold beer.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I used to drop my kayak in on the Griffen Road canal in Davie and float from spillway to spillway which was about 2 miles, it was loaded with peacocks along the spots where the golf course creeks flowed into the canal. On that float there are 5-6 bridges I had to float under. Every one of them would have a few homeless living there. On a regular peacock trip, I would be offered crack cocaine, sex for money, you name it.

So yeah the sketchier to fishing spor, the better the peacock fishing.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

so, how was the sex?
    asking for a friend....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Did you keep any to eat/have you eaten one? I've seen a bunch of shows with people catching them, and I've never seen them keep one or even discuss eating them, but they look like they would be tasty with some House Autry and a cold beer.
    Hell no I wouldn’t eat anything out of those canals & lakes.

I learned how to fish this things from a Haitian that used to sit on the bank and wore them out. He ate them.... apparently enough spices will cover the taste of muscovy shit and motor oil quite well.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau